What's new

Question re: Downstream QOS and R7000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AntonK

Very Senior Member
Hello,

I’ve got an R7000 router at my home, and a cable connection with 110Mbps download / 35Mbps upload speeds

Aside from 1 cabled PC and usually about 5 wireless devices (including a music-streaming Echo), I have one TV streaming Netflix and other video services hooked up to the router via Powerline adapters.

Would my TV streaming benefit from turning on downstream QOS on my R7000?

Thanks,

Anton

Downstream QoS can help prioritise traffic from the Internet to your network, ie., helps to deliver better performance when streaming Internet video...

Thanks Netgear Guy, appreciated.

One thing I'm wondering about specifically is that is the need for QOS bandwidth dependant? For example, is a 100Mbps downstream connection likely to be improved by bandwidth shaping or prioritization, or is that pipe big enough that shaping/prioritization will have no effect in almost any conceivable scenario?

My thinking is this: why lose CTF to QOS, if the QOS is not needed to improve streaming on your bandwidth?

Thanks,
Anton

Last edited:
One thing I'm wondering about specifically is that is the need for QOS bandwidth dependant? For example, is a 100Mbps downstream connection likely to be improved by bandwidth shaping or prioritization, or is that pipe big enough that shaping/prioritization will have no effect in almost any conceivable scenario?

My thinking is this: why lose CTF to QOS, if the QOS is not needed to improve streaming on your bandwidth?

Thanks,
Anton

Keep in mind that 100Mbps is an 'up to' speed. Just as important is the upload speed which, unfortunately, is also an 'up to', uh, 'guarantee'.

QoS will improve the responsiveness of a network, even with 1Gbps speeds up/down or greater. You can't have a big enough pipe for responsiveness (per client). Those two are not directly related, though some people seem to think otherwise.

- If QoS is enabled, CTF will not be disabled.

- All router models will not support QoS in AP mode, since there is no longer a WAN interface.

Thanks everybody. I'm with QOS!