What's new

Question Regarding Best Configuration For Best Results

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

b1ggjoe

Regular Contributor
Hello Everyone,

I'm working on the following setup and I would love to get your input and suggestions:

- I'm going to have the ASUS RT-AC68U set up in 'AP-only' mode, centered over my home in my attic. Temperature won't really be an issue, since I live close to the Beach in Southern California and it's a brand-new construction build, so insulation is brand-new.

- *Almost* directly below the ASUS RT-AC68U in the living room I plan on having the 'ASUS EA-N66' placed on top of a tall cabinet that will connect to the AC68U.

- I will have a Cat6 cable ran from the 'EA-N66', down behind the cabinet to my Media stand, plugged-into the 'ASUS GX-D1051 V3' 5-port Gigabit Switch.

- Finally, I will have a variety of ethernet-enabled devices (LCD TV, Blu-Ray Player, DirecTV Genie, Gaming Systems' plugged-in to the ASUS 5-port GB switch.

In order to maximize the connection/throughput/speed/reliability/quality between the EA-N66 and the AC68U, what would be the best and recommended configuration?

Both running in 5GHZ Band for example?

Thanks!

BJ

:cool:

forsure use 5GHz on both for the bridge (you have to have them on the same frequency and channel) and i suggest choosing a channel like 159 or higher to make sure u get max power, channels below 149 wont output at as high power. some fcc rules or something i was reading about it the other day.

I think it will still get really really hot in that attic in the summer.

I think it will still get really really hot in that attic in the summer.

Agreed... It will in all likelyhood be the hottest place in the house even with proper venting. Unless you have insulation between your attic "ceiling" and/or roof you can usually cook eggs up there in the summer heat.

Thank you everyone! Please keep the suggestions coming in!

- Ok, so I will make sure to set 'ASUS EA-N66' to 5 GHZ only and On Channel 159 or maybe 160?

- Do I need to set anything specific on the RT-AC68U? Maybe in the WebUI just also set it to use the same Channel 159 or 160 when using 5GHZ Band?

- Any suggestions on how to keep the RT-AC68U 'cooler' while it's in the attic? I am going to place it in the attic, since it will give me the best overall WiFi coverage throughout the home.

Any other suggestions?

BJ

My suggestion? Don't put it in the attic. In Southern California, in the summer, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets to 150 up there. The insulation is between the attic floor and the house.
You are putting the router above that. You might as well put it on the roof. Lol.

Hmmm...I have to think about that one then. I don't want the RT-68U overheating or dying prematurely. Yet, there's no other place where I can place it and still have it be centrally located.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why can't you just put it in an upstairs room? My rt-ac68u covers my whole house, it's located in the first floor, in a side room.
I get coverage at the opposite end on the second floor and opposite end of my basement.

Wow, that kind of coverage is encouraging to hear. I only have a Single-story house, so no second floor. I also have a lot of trees that provide shade to that part of the house all day long. Gotta think about that one.

BJ

Hmmm...I was thinking about putting a dedicated fan to blow air on the Router. However, since it's just going to blow the same temperature air, would it even make a difference as far as temperature?

Would it have any diverse affect on the actual WiFi signal at all?

BJ