What's new

Question Wireless N router 40mhz recommendation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

doctacarta

New Around Here
Anyone recommend a wireless N router that can force a channel bandwidth to 40mhz? I had a DIR-655 Dlink which had an auto feature of 20/40mhz but it apparently wasn't pushing the 40mhz channel to some of my devices. Dlink confirmed my findings. Dlink recommended the DIR-820L because of the 40mhz feature but after some quick research it has the same prompt of an Auto setting of 20/40mhz. I would like a router which only pushes a 40mhz channel bandwidth so I can achieve the speeds to my desire.

Thanks!

You will find this more difficult to do. Wi-Fi Certification requires conforming to 40 MHz coexistence, which causes the router to fall back to 20 MHz mode if interfering networks are detected. Routers are supposed to fall back, even if set to a "40 MHz only" setting.

With 2.4 GHz as crowded as it is, it will be difficult to get routers to operate in 40 MHz bandwidth. And in crowded airspace you are only contributing to lower bandwidth for everyone by running in 40 MHz.

I suggest you look for products not Wi-Fi Certified. You can usually find these from lesser name brands like EnGenius and Edimax. ASUS routers also have a 40 MHz only mode.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

My current router, DIR-655, was only allowing my asus laptop (personal) to connect at 65mbps (20mhz, i'd imagine). After some research, I found that the laptop's wireless adapter says it is capable of 144mbps (40mhz, i'd imagine). After extensive research, advance settings and tech. support - my personal laptop would only hit 65mbps. I tested my personal laptop on my work's network and it hit 72mbps (20mhz, i'd imagine) just fine.

The thing that now bothers me about personal laptop is that my work laptop hits 144mbps (40mhz, i'd imagine) just fine on my work's network so something is up with my personal laptop or it was just a bad signal when my personal laptop hit 72mbps on my work's network, initially. Plus the fact that my work laptop hits 65mbps on my personal network (DIR-655).

Any thoughts?

The difference is more likely the adapter in each laptop. Let's look at the
link rate table.

65 Mbps is the maximum 20 MHz mode link rate for an N150 class adapter (1x1).
40 MHz mode link rate is 150 Mbps. (Line 7)

144 Mbps is the 20 MHz mode link rate for some N300 class adapters. 300 Mbps would be the 40 MHz mode link rate. (Line 15)

You can confirm this by looking at the wireless adapter properties in Device Manager.

I'll look at this when I get home. Do you have any personal opinions in regards to the DIR-655? My DIR-655 is N300.

Thanks again!

It was my router for awhile. Was solid for me.

I don't have those advanced options you discussed in your previous reply.

My work laptop that has an intel wireless adapter does.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    15.1 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:
The difference is more likely the adapter in each laptop. Let's look at the
link rate table.

65 Mbps is the maximum 20 MHz mode link rate for an N150 class adapter (1x1).
40 MHz mode link rate is 150 Mbps. (Line 7)

144 Mbps is the 20 MHz mode link rate for some N300 class adapters. 300 Mbps would be the 40 MHz mode link rate. (Line 15)

You can confirm this by looking at the wireless adapter properties in Device Manager.

The fact that my router advertises it is a N300 but I am not achieveing the speeds you mentioned in that table, do you suggest buying a different N300 router or a higher/more capable N router i.e. N600?

Thanks