What's new

questions on new n router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

woot21210

New Around Here
I just got a new n router to replace my g router, and while my speed doubled, wondering if making it n only vs mixed as it is now or changing the channel to 6 or 11 would improve speed? Thanks for any advice

11n-only might help a bit if all your devices, and guests' are 11n, which they probably are. 11g clients would be 4 years or so old.
You may have negative impact if you have a neighbor with 11b/g and IF that neighbor is near your channel, and IF the neighbor does extensive streaming via WiFi.

Changing channels to 1, 6 or 11 - all depends on if you have a neighbor that streams video a LOT on or near one of those channels.

Try speedtest.net. Try several different servers to find the fastest. Do it on both WiFi and a PC with wired connection to router. See if you can get near the speed promised by your ISP for down and also up.

WiFi speed will vary a lot by which device is used and of course, the signal strength at the client, and also at the router (though the latter is rarely displayed by routers' admin tools).

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!