What's new

r7000 looks like a winner!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NightOwl326

I hate to say it, due to my past experiences with Netgear, but I think maybe, just maybe Netgear got it right with the r7000. Seems as though out of the box Netgear has a better product than Asus with this new generation of wireless router.

Last edited:
I hate to say it, due to my past experiences with Netgear, but I think maybe, just maybe Netgear got it right with the r7000. Seems as though out of the box Netgear has a better product than Asus with this new generation of wireless router.

That's exactly how I felt when I got my R6300 last year...... then the problems started. Netgear's latest f/w has issues with high ping times and after numerous reports from the user base they never addressed it. And now the hardware is failing. The LAN ports drop connectivity constantly. I cannot afford to dish out $200 each year so I'll wait and see how the Asus plays out.

Indeed, this looks to be the router to get. Cost, Broadcom SoC @ 1GHz, and AC1900 all for $199. The problems is: Netgear, ugly big chasis (but is cool temperature wise), and very bright white lights for 1Gb connections. Firmware can be resolved with third party later, but I never feel that the speed that you should get from third party is ever on par with stock as it is with Padavan's for the 56U and 65U Asus routers. Merlin's would be nice for this, matter of fact perfect.

Personally, I would prefer to purchase this router.

Firmware can be resolved with third party later, but I never feel that the speed that you should get from third party is ever on par with stock as it is with Padavan's for the 56U and 65U Asus routers.

That's the problem with all Broadcom-based router. A big chunk of their performance comes from a closed-source module (CTF), which either only works with the firmware for which it was compiled, or prevents the use of many of the advanced features offered by third party firmwares.

I'm able to avoid that problem since I stick to the base Asus firmware, which means I can still make use of that module.

Yes, Indeed!
'
I bought a netgear 6250 as a replacement (temporary ) for my bricked RT 66 , but after 2 days went out and bought an Asus AC 66 , the netgear had nowhere near the range or transfer rate of the rt 66 or AC66 . I no longer trust netgear products , they pull support after 1 or 2 versions , they never resolve flaws in the FW , they just move on and forget old versions . They used to be solid , still have an old netgear G router from 9 years ago that still going strong , they dropped the ball years ago .
I'll stick with Asus , they support the products they sell , that is where the value is .

'
I bought a netgear 6250 as a replacement (temporary ) for my bricked RT 66 , but after 2 days went out and bought an Asus AC 66 , the netgear had nowhere near the range or transfer rate of the rt 66 or AC66 . I no longer trust netgear products , they pull support after 1 or 2 versions , they never resolve flaws in the FW , they just move on and forget old versions . They used to be solid , still have an old netgear G router from 9 years ago that still going strong , they dropped the ball years ago .
I'll stick with Asus , they support the products they sell , that is where the value is .

Amen brother!

IMO, Cradlepoint, ZyXel and a few others does a good job of support. They sell more to SOHOs and SMBs and the M2M markets. So products can't be mickey-mouse like consumer WiFi where it's just a fight for buying their way on to the top shelf at retail and the biggest ad on Newegg/Amazon.

(Cisco and Aruba excluded, as being solely $$$$ enterprise scale).

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!