What's new

r7000 or RT68u (or other possibilities)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stiffbeta

Occasional Visitor
I'm so over my Rt-Ac78u that I am sending it back to where I got it. Can any one suggest a good router of which I was thinking the r7000 or 68u or something along those lines for a 3 level 5? I want to use 2.4 for general and 5ghz for my stuff I want to do vlans for guest wireless, home network(wired/wireless), lab(wired) and gaming/tv/Roku(wired/wireless). I like all 3 firmware choices but the Asus merlin is slick but I like the website monitoring of tomato (apparently I got some curious kids lol). I'm also tossing around getting a mikrotik crs 124-24 switch or a cisco sg300 for the vlans/dhcp but if I can avoid $3-400 that would be nice. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

if you need to choose between the R7000 (stock FW) and the AC68U, the latter has the advantage. However if you intend to use the R7000 with a third-party FW like Tomato (I do), the R7000 has the advantage, IMO. It's a bit easier to flash with Tomato, runs cooler and uses a bit less power (the ASUS routers are a bit know to use more power than competing ones)

Personally, I'm very happy with my own R7000 and wouldn't trade it for anything else. VLANs are also very easy to set up in Tomato (as you maybe know) while on ASUS FW you'd need to do it through the CLI (afaik, correct me if I'm wrong). Tomato offers an easy GUI portion for VLANs

I'm so over my Rt-Ac78u

so whats wrong with it ? as in general there is nothing wrong with the 87u that will magically improve with buying a lower class 1900ac router

or something along those lines for a 3 level 5?

so are you saying you have a 3 level home ? if so any single transmission is going to struggle to cover a 3 level home

you need to look at getting the wifi transmission to where its needed and not expect 1 device to do it all

do you have ethernet running between the floors at all

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!