What's new

R7000 started making pretty loud noise

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

robr

Occasional Visitor
I've read the other posts in this forum from circa 2014 but this sounds kind of different. I purchased this router about 4 years ago and it has been completely silent up until today. We had a quick brownout, everything powered back up and all was fine. I had purchased a UPS a while back and decided it was probably a good time to plug things into the UPS.

When I plugged the R7000 into the UPS, on power up it started making a hiss/buzz noise loud enough to be heard in the next room. I have a fan running on high in my office and I can still hear it. I moved the R7000 plug back to the powerstrip it was plugged into before and it's still hissing.

I disabled both the 5GHz radio (hissing volume dropped by about 50%) then the 2.4GHz radio (nothing changed). So even with both wifi radios disabled, it's still hissing.

Everything seems to be working OK, but this noise is going to drive me nuts. There's really no solution for this? Netgear claims a router without a fan or any moving parts making noise is normal?!?? That doesn't seem like something that would be normal at all.

I have a bunch of WAPs around the house, so if disabling the radios would stop the noise, I could live with that, but that's not working.

R7000 suffered Coil whine. It could be that your UPS is not pure sinewave and the power supply does not like a stepped equivalent that some UPS's produce. I have my XR500 plugged into a APC Smart UPS 1000 pure sinewave and I have no sound. Try plugging it back into the wall is it quite again?

problem solved. it was a total case of PIBCAK. I noticed my cat playing with the end of a power cable and had no idea where it came from and was also concerned it might be plugged in. Sure enough it was..... then it occurred to me, trying to detangle all the spaghetti when plugging everything into the UPS, I might have mixed up some cables. I swapped that cable with the one plugged into the R7000 and sure enough, no more whine. Oops.

One an entirely different note, why don't these companies put the transformer in the middle of the cable? I cover up 3 outlets on the UPS plugging this thing in.

One an entirely different note, why don't these companies put the transformer in the middle of the cable? I cover up 3 outlets on the UPS plugging this thing in.

Mostly due to cost - what can be equally frustrating is the alignment of the adapter to the socket, some might only be 1 socket wide, but their aligned in such a way that they cover 2 or 3 other sockets on a power strip :|

That being said, some vendors have provided adapters where the AC/DC conversion was mid-cable - first hand experience with Linksys WRT1900acV1 and Airport Extreme 802.11n - they were more like what one usually gets with a laptop.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!