What's new

R7000 vs R7000p vs AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kneo

Occasional Visitor
My N66 died and I am exploring a replacement for the same. AC is a standard now but I am not sure whether I have requirements of a very high end router. I am summarizing my priority requirements

1. Good range - I live in a 1000 sq. ft apartment and because of the structure the signal has to go through at least 2 concrete wall to reach my living room. I do not have many devices connecting simultaneously. I may have 5-6 devices maximum which would connect with 2 of them streaming media at the same time.

2. Good signal strength despite network interference - I live in an apartment complex where network interference is high i.e. everyone has a wireless router and I get at least 10 signals in my apartment from my neighbors

3a. USB option for torrent downloads - I am used to the torrent download feature on N66 directly on the USB and this is an important feature for me.

3b. I also use the router as the media server and stream directly from the router + USB to my entertainment center. This is a mandatory requirement and I want great USB and wireless throughput for this.

4. I do not use QoS and VPN at all (I may end up using openVPN but that is not a primary requirement at all)

5. I loved Merlin's firmware and that's one of the reasons that I prefer Asus over Netgear. But this is not a mandatory requirement.

6. I keep the router on 24*7*365. While the router is in open and not in a confined heat generating space, I am concerned about this as my N66 had just died spontaneously without any signs whatsoever!

7. My current ISP speed is just 40 Mbps and at best it may go to 100 Mbps in another year. So dont' see anymore increase in the speeds immediately.

Would appreciate if you can share some suggestions. Budget is not much of a concern as of now and want to get a reliable router which can give me good range. I am even open to other suggestions but I am not sure whether the additional money I'll put in would be actually useful to me as I am not a power user.

Have also thrown in Netgear r8000 and r7800 to this mix as they are in the similar range of budget

For about $50 more than the AC68U (about $200 vs. $150) you might consider an Asus AC86U?

That said I bought the AC68U (RT-AC1900P) because it was on sale for less than $100 and it's working well for me. File share was intermittent (I may have made a mistake when I was setting things up, Windows 10 is a bit recalcitrant with SMB v1) but it's been rock solid since I flashed Merlin.

It was an upgrade to an old N66U (which I had borrowed for a couple years so it about time I bought my own router : -) I have a 100 Mbps service and it keeps up fine. I don't use torrent but I'm streaming three TVs, stream from my router and can now stream from the far bedroom.

While I'm happy with the AC68U I would've bought the AC86U if this one wasn't on special.

Back here in India, the price difference is significantly more and hence I have to keep it out of consideration

I am almost finalizing Asus AC68U but in my budget I can probably even get Netgear R7800.

Would Netgear also have the torrent downloader the way Asus has it? 7800 is the top ranked router and while I am not going to use most of the features, torrent download and media streaming via USB are the top requirements that I cannot live without.

Update. Finalized and ordered AC68U finally because of the Merlin firmware and the torrent download facility. Thanks for all the help

Update. Finalized and ordered AC68U finally because of the Merlin firmware and the torrent download facility. Thanks for all the help
I sincerely hope it works out well for you! Do let us know ...

(Myself, I would run "stock" for a few days before upgrading to Merlin.)

I sincerely hope it works out well for you! Do let us know ...

(Myself, I would run "stock" for a few days before upgrading to Merlin.)
I am wondering how does one test it out. Do we just do speedtest from various devices? All devices show me different results!