What's new

random disconnect xt12

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

karibu

New Around Here
Hi all

Switched from an old Google WiFi mesh to XT12 config and it's been quite a disaster

Network setup as below:
  • ISP modem > XT12 router (firmware: 3.0.0.6.102_35186-g066dc12_396-gdbdcb)
  • XT12 satellite 1 (firmware: 3.0.0.6.102_35186-g066dc12_396-gdbdcb)
  • RP-AX 58 satellite 2 (firmware: 3.0.0.4.388_24654-g6a82eb6)
  • Both satellites are connected with Ethernet backhaul
Only 2 devices are connected with Ethernet: my son's PC for gaming and a NAS drive
All other devices (camera, iphones, laptops, PCs) are using WiFi.

When they are connected, I get pretty good speed of 500Mb/s and above.

However, most of my WiFi devices are being randomly disconnected.

In particular when a laptop or desktop goes on sleep, it does not reconnect. I have to turn-off / turn-on the wifi on the device.

I have changed the 2.4Ghz channel and the 5-1Ghz channel in case there was interferences with other WiFi networks from around but to no avail.

This is driving me crazy and tempted to send all this stuff back and keep my old Google WiFi that had super slow speed but at least was stable

Any advice?

Thanks

Was the old Google system WiFi 5 (AC) ?
Google does have a newer Nest Pro which is wifi6e and not compatible with previous versions.

What do the logs list in each AP/router when/if the disconnect occurs ?
What do you see in the AP/router logs when the laptop or desktop pc goes to sleep ?

Are all three devices providing WiFi signal ?

What is the physical layout of the 3 devices ? Multi floor ? Plan view of the building, showing walls, location, approx. dimensions, etc will help if this is an RF issue.

Assuming all three are - What happens if you power off both APs (satellites) and reboot the clients ? Do you see the same behavior ?

What happens if you power off both of the APs, power on just one AP ( start with the XT12), and reboot the clients ?

What do the logs list in each AP/router when/if the disconnect occurs when doing the above ?
What do you see in the AP/router logs when the laptop or desktop pc goes to sleep ?

Last edited:
Was the old Google system WiFi 5 (AC) ?

Yes old version

Google does have a newer Nest Pro which is wifi6e and not compatible with previous versions.

What do the logs list in each AP/router when/if the disconnect occurs ?

When disconnect occurs, I can see this in the router log
"
Aug 23 21:29:35 kernel: 9E:1B:6C:14:3D:C2 not mesh client, can't update it's ip
Aug 23 21:29:45 kernel: F4:CE:23:02:3A:B4 not mesh client, can't update it's ip
Aug 23 21:29:45 kernel: 9E:1B:6C:14:3D:C2 not mesh client, can't update it's ip
"

Are all three devices providing WiFi signal ?

Yes

What is the physical layout of the 3 devices ? Multi floor ? Plan view of the building, showing walls, location, approx. dimensions, etc will help if this is an RF issue.

Multifloor
For example, my son was playing online with his PC connected to wired to the XT12 satellite
I was waking up my laptop downstair and have it bound to the node RP58 and it could not connect

Assuming all three are - What happens if you power off both APs (satellites) and reboot the clients ? Do you see the same behavior ?

What happens if you power off both of the APs, power on just one AP ( start with the XT12), and reboot the clients ?

Will try this today after a reset and will not connect the RP58 to see if that causes issue

What do the logs list in each AP/router when/if the disconnect occurs when doing the above ?

What is the DHCP lease time for clients ?

There is another thread running where a change to AX std APs resulted in too much RF power. Reducing the transmit power helped roaming, specifically. It should also improve connections.

What is the DHCP lease time for clients ?

There is another thread running where a change to AX std APs resulted in too much RF power. Reducing the transmit power helped roaming, specifically. It should also improve connections.
will check this
the DHCP lease is default 86400 seconds