What's new

Range Extender OR Linksys E3000?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cbpfromtn

New Around Here
Hi,
I am a complete novice and need some sound advice. I purchased a Linksys WRT160N to replace my (Comcast provided) Netgear router recently to address signal strength problems in my home. While the signal has improved, I am still not getting the signal I need in a theatre room in my home that I am attempting to use a Roku HD XR, which is supposed to have the best antenna of the Roku Boxes (this is to stream Netflix etc.)
Anyway, I want to know which of the two following options (all of you who know so much more than I do,) I should try: Should I get the Linksys Range Extender to use with my Linksys WRT N160, OR should I purchase the new Linksys E3000? The Range extender is going to cost $99 and the E3000 will cost me $149. I don't know which one would be the best choice for improving signal strength. Since the cost isn't really a factor in this case, which one do you all think would be my best option?
Thank you for taking the time to think this through (I am sure most of you know immediately which one.) I appreciate the expert advice!!!

Neither, but definitely not the range extender. It is only 802.11g, so will reduce your speed by a lot.

The Roku HD XR does not have a better antenna. It has 802.11n wireless instead of 11g. This can provide higher throughput than 802.11g when used with an 11n router, which the WRT160N is.

If the WRT160N isn't getting you the signal strength you need, the E3000 won't either. My advice is to run Ethernet to your Roku if you at all can. Or see if
you can move the router and Roku closer.

Next best alternative would be powerline (HomePlug AV standard) or MoCA if you have coax in both locations (router and theater room) and aren't using Satellite TV.