What's new

Recommend me router for handling SQM on 1 Gbps Fiber

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

the4anoni

New Around Here
Hi

Like in topic.

Can Mikrotik RB5009 handle SQM on 1Gbit/s Fiber? Or should I go with mini PC as router? Which OS do you recommend then?

Also in future I plan to upgrade to 2Gbps Fiber bandwidth.

I wouldn't worry about any QoS on Gigabit of faster fiber connection. If you really insist then x86 hardware with 2.5GbE ports (for your future upgrade plans) and pfSense/OPNsense are popular choices. You can play there with traffic shapers and limiters all you want plus other things.

I wouldn't worry about any QoS on Gigabit of faster fiber connection. If you really insist then x86 hardware with 2.5GbE ports (for your future upgrade plans) and pfSense/OPNsense are popular choices. You can play there with traffic shapers and limiters all you want plus other things.
Which mini PC router do you recommend for best price/value performance?

I think you will be better off running a regular PC with a fan. It will breathe and cool better. The Mini PC tends to get hot and throttle the CPU. If you want the regular PC quiet then run a low watt CPU like a 35-watt CPU. This is what I do. I bought a reconditioned Dell PC with a 35-watt CPU and added a dual port Intel NIC for less than $200.

Many to choose from from different manufacturers. The ones with lower price come from Chinese hard to pronounce manufacturers. I don't know where do you live and what the market looks like around you. I personally prefer ready to go appliances and use Netgate with preinstalled pfSense.

I personally prefer ready to go appliances and use Netgate with preinstalled pfSense.
+1 to that. I recently bought a Netgate 4200 and have been very pleased with it. I could probably have bought comparable no-name hardware for quite a bit less, but I'm happy to consider the difference as a contribution to keeping pfSense development going. Good software doesn't just appear out of nowhere.

I have other reasons as well - specific business use. Has to be something standard, known and replaceable.