What's new

Recommendation for a wireless router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wondersnite

New Around Here
Hey! I've been doing my homework and I have a pretty clear view on the type of the router I'm looking for. I just need some help finding out which one that is!

I'm looking for a router that:
  • can have another firmware installed on it (ideally both OpenWRT and Tomato; the latter only works on Broadcom processors).
  • supports IPv6.
  • has simultaneous dual band.
  • has a pretty good range. I'm thinking I'll probably be better off with something that supports 802.11n so I can get a decent signal on all 4 floors of the house (about 60ft by 60 ft) and in the garden as well (an extra 60 ft range).
  • possibly has at least 1 USB port so I can connect an external hard drive to it.

The ASUS RT-N66U looks like a pretty solid choice, but I was hoping to find something a bit cheaper. Up to $100 would be ideal. Thanks a lot!

EDIT: I've continued to look around and the Cisco Linksys E4200 or the Netgear WNDR4000 might be what I'm searching for. They both retail for $179 (which is actually the same as the ASUS RT-N66U), but I'll probably be able to get them for less on Amazon or eBay. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
E4200v1 with DD-WRT if you need HD and DLNA support EA4500 but there is no support for DD-WRT on that model. You could spend less than $100 on Enterprise PoE WNAP if you only need WNAP and then get a very good wired gig router. But in any case E4200V1 with DD-WRT.

E4200v1 with DD-WRT if you need HD and DLNA support EA4500 but there is no support for DD-WRT on that model. You could spend less than $100 on Enterprise PoE WNAP if you only need WNAP and then get a very good wired gig router. But in any case E4200V1 with DD-WRT.

So you'd pick the E4200v1 over the WNDR4000? On eBay, I think I can get the E4200 for just under $100 and the WNDR4000 for $70. Is it worth the extra $30 or is it basically the same thing inside a different casing? I'm more inclined on getting the E4200, but if there's no difference, I'm not sure that the prettier design is worth $30.

Also, what's the range on these? Are they both about the same? Can I at least expect to get a 35 ft range indoors from these without any issues?

Which E4200 under $100?

V1 only has 480MHz CPU with 64MB of RAM 64MB for ROM
V2 only has 1.2GHz CPU with 128MB of RAM and 128MB for ROM

V1 can only be flashed with enhanced Rom Update DD-WRT giving you control over many features won't won't find on the stock Rom Firmware.

When you get to the EA4500 which has the same as V2 except it's more geared for Apps to remote control into it like Android Smartphone and Android Tablets can access the router features. This also applies E4200V1, E4200V2 also. Cisco Easy Connect.

But your looking for just WiFi range again range depends on what your have going on at your end. Interference is will reduce the performance of the signal link quality too.

Tested: EA4500 Stock without CCC control feature is slightly faster. Range is about the same as it was. Cover the room it's in and nearby rooms. Once outside it drops low by 30%. \
Tested E4200V1 Stock range slightly better but like with EA4500 it was designed to use RE1000 so Linksys cut down the the TX power.
Tested E4200V1 using Rom Update DD-WRT 100% coverage no need to use RE1000 but, outside the signal drops by 10 to 20%.

Tested EnGenius ESR300H and ESR600H both have High Power rated as 23dBm both can reach beyond the house and about 150 feet more before the signal drops by 40%.
The only issues with these other two models are they over head and loose connections on LAN side was tested only as WNAP. Just not a stable connections to recommend them.

Last edited:
... both can reach beyond the house and about 150 feet more before the signal drops by 40%.
That's the WiFi router to client signal... Equally important, or more important, is the comparatively weak sign FROM the client device TO the WiFi router. Often, this is the weakest link in terms of range/coverage/speed.

I was thinking of getting the v1 for $99.

But your looking for just WiFi range again range depends on what your have going on at your end. Interference is will reduce the performance of the signal link quality too.

Obviously it all depends on how thick the walls are, etc., but I just want to know if there is any difference in range between the WNDR4000 and the E4200v1. Are there any issues with the range on either of them? Can I expect to get around a 35 ft radius of range in a typical/normal indoor environment or should I look for another kind of router?

35 ft will be OK with most client device types... smart phones and some tablets are the challenge as they have low power and poor antennas.

Just got the Asus RT-N66U and its a monster!! Great wireless range and throughput

Given that I can't find an ASUS RT-N66U for less than $169, would you recommend a Linksys E4200 or a NETGEAR WNDR4000? The WNDR4000 seems to have better reviews, and I can get it for less that the E4200 as well.

Given that I can't find an ASUS RT-N66U for less than $169, would you recommend a Linksys E4200 or a NETGEAR WNDR4000? The WNDR4000 seems to have better reviews, and I can get it for less that the E4200 as well.

Based on review on the WNDR4000 doesn't look promising.. Either 4200V1 or EA4500 will cover more than 35FT to 50FT in 360 degree radius. What do you have there walls? Dry walls pretty much anything will go through them. Houses made in late 70's til now range is going to be different that those built 1800 to 1920s. 1920s to 1930s. Depends how much cast iron pipes in the walls. Drywall in a new homes works out well when it gets to Cement Cinder Block and a solid metal door can block a lot of the WiFi signal out. E4200 and EA4500 doesn't do a good job with that type of block. Where as the ESR300H and ESR600H can. If the ASUS has a strong TX it should be able to break though. But the only issue I see is even is the signal is strong it bound to drop as with most WiFi.

Are you in a crowded 2.4GHz area?

That's the WiFi router to client signal... Equally important, or more important, is the comparatively weak sign FROM the client device TO the WiFi router. Often, this is the weakest link in terms of range/coverage/speed.

Well yes, but Cement, Cinder Block and metal door will really mess up the signal also. EA4500 and E4200V1 can't get through were as ESR300H and ESR600H can. I've tested both and they can reach where the EA4500 and E4200V1 can't. Thus the need for RE1000 in my case two just to use outside, that's if I use EA4500 or E4200 as WNAPs. If I use them a full package they do behave the same.

If I use RE1000 behide that metal door with Cement Cinder Blocks then one on the other side of the door. Then the signal of each the E4200V1 or EA4500 can get though. But the quality of the signal link is not as strong. Can drop back down.

E4200V1 using DD-WRT seems to have a lot of RX Errors those are not good have. Also I've found the E4200V1 with DD-WRT doesn't play nice with HD. Where as the EA4500 running Stock firmware prior to CCC update does work. Really quick.

I can show how the EA4500 is with prior stock before CCC. This was taken yesterday on one of my Android Tablets that is using my new Rom | Up PowerCode 530 KGLE Power G+ High Power that I've designed for Android OS 2.3.3. ICS Power N+ is coming out in August. But anyway below is how EA4500 is working with Power G+ is in HT20 mode.

screen55.png

Based on review on the WNDR4000 doesn't look promising..

Actually, I was basing myself on this review. From what I've been reading, the WNDR4000 seems to provide a better range than the E4200, and most charts seem to back that up as well.

Either 4200V1 or EA4500 will cover more than 35FT to 50FT in 360 degree radius. What do you have there walls?

The walls in my home are pretty think (cement and brick), so I'm not really expecting the router to have a crazy range. There are several rooms in the floor where the bedrooms are, but since it's not too big of an area (about 60 ft by 60 ft) I'm thinking of putting the router in the center of the house and hopefully being able to get a strong signal in every room.

Are you in a crowded 2.4GHz area?

I live in a city (Lisbon in Portugal, to be exact), so I know I will probably have some interference. Since there are usually no more than 10 Wifi networks around at any given point in space, I think it will be nothing too severe, but I want to get a router with simultaneous dual band nonetheless.

EA4500 and E4200V1 can't get through were as ESR300H and ESR600H can. I've tested both and they can reach where the EA4500 and E4200V1 can't.

I really want something I can tinker around with. The ESR300H and the ESR600H don't seem to have support for any other firmware like OpenWRT or DD-WRT, and I'd also prefer it if the router had a Broadcom CPU for TomatoUSB, which the EA4500 doesn't have.

Basically, I just want a router that can offer a strong signal throughout my home (or at the very least in the bedroom floor) and that I can flash several different firmwares onto it. If it weren't for the $169 pricetag, I would have already bought the ASUS RT-N66U.

Thanks for all your support and patience!

@Someone else that said something about the AirPort Extreme: While it definitely looks good and has some pretty good reviews, the fact that I can't install some other firmware is a deal breaker for me.

Just be careful not to step on your neighbors WiFi using DD-WRT features. Then for you E4200V1 with DD-WRT would suit you better or get the ASUS one you like if you need more powerful CPU and memory.

As your own research uncovered, the WNDR4000 is not as bad a choice as some would insinuate. DD-WRT is pretty solidly performing on said Netgear device as well.

Which E4200 under $100?

V1 only has 480MHz CPU with 64MB of RAM 64MB for ROM
V2 only has 1.2GHz CPU with 128MB of RAM and 128MB for ROM

Important to note that the CPU speed there is not apples to apples - the V1 is MIPS based, the V2 is ARMv5 (Marvell) - so the memory footprint and binary sizes can be different.

The V2, if I recall, it is a 3*3 on both bands, whereas the V1 is 2*2 in 2.4Ghz, and 3*3 in 5Ghz.

Both are fairly decent for a Linksys device...

Dry walls pretty much anything will go through them. Houses made in late 70's til now range is going to be different that those built 1800 to 1920s. 1920s to 1930s. Depends how much cast iron pipes in the walls.?
Agree: Drywall is not a big problem. Per NIST tests, it's about 2dB per layer of drywall.

But Cast iron pipes in walls: not an issue.

Old lath and plaster: is far more lossy than drywall.

Agree: Drywall is not a big problem. Per NIST tests, it's about 2dB per layer of drywall.

But Cast iron pipes in walls: not an issue.

Old lath and plaster: is far more lossy than drywall.

Odd I had that in my prior 1927 home, but it had newer dry wall in all the rooms except for the sun room that had 9x windows. Signal strength in that addition was able to bounce around in that room where there was and old brick fireplace.

Rooms above that room was able to see the WAP in there at 100% once you go 50 to 75Ft the signal would drop by 20 to 25%.

Best to use more than one hardwired WAP = wireless access point if you have older house with all sorts of features in the wall. Brick fireplace can cause issues but if you place the WAP or router in area like a corner you can get better results.

Must you have a dual bander? Otherwise there will be lot more to pick for lot less money.