What's new

Recommendation For Strange Set of Needs?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Anotherusername

Occasional Visitor
Hello- Thank you in advance for your help.

I have a strange set of needs and I'm looking for some buying advice.

Setting up a wireless network with the following criteria:
- 25 clients will connect - Mostly older laptops with slow wireless cards (probably N)
- No internet access necessary, but I do need networking capabilities (thus, DHCP is needed)
- Great wireless range is important
- Need to travel with this router so antennas make things more complicated
- These machines are sharing very small txt files back in forth, but in real time so the files are small, but they're all torrenting the data so the network activity will go in bursts. But in general, load is low.
- Budget isn't that large. Somewhere in the $50 would be optimal. But, if I find an awesome solution, I'll pony up more. Legacy device is fine.

Any advice on a good wireless router that I can travel with, has great range, and can easily handle a 25 node sharing load? I would think N450 is the minimum, but maybe a strong range N300 is better?

Thanks!!

how portable? because for LAN only a switch is used on the router. Any typical router even tp link would work.

N450 is pointless, because most clients are only single or dual channel. This isnt like MU-MIMO for wifi AC. Infact getting a wifi AC router will better because you get 5Ghz wifi A too and better RF design for better performance. The main question is how portable in terms of size. For example you could get mikrotik's RB9xx series, a case and PSU if you dont have any wired clients and have the skill to configure it.

Thanks for the help. The laptops only support 2.4Ghz N. In terms of portability, right now I have a Linksys E3500 which fits in the crate ok (its a little large). Its working ok, but I have noticed signal weakness at the corner of the room. Antennas are not doable because they'll probably break off in shipping. I won't have any wired clients which makes things a little easier.

Thanks.

You'll have to check the SNB reviews for specific routers re. coverage, but my gut feeling is that limiting yourself to devices that only have internal antennas is going compromise range. If you're worried they'll break off in shipping just make sure the router has detachable antennas that can be screwed on at the destination.

I just thought of something. Would it help these machines if I added a USB wireless card? They have USB 2 on them. Just an idea. Might be a pain to manage all the usb cards too. Thx.

Ok... thanks for the help. Think I'm going to go with the Netgear R6120. It's small enough where I can handle the antennas and it looks like it will handle 20 or so text clients just fine.

Thanks.