What's new

Recommendation for use as a wired router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ResumeMan

New Around Here
Hello, I've lurked here (or more accurately been sent here by Google) a number of times over the years, but just set up an account for this question.

For a number of years I had an Asus AiMesh system, with a AC68U as the main router and a couple older routers as the satellites. I used a few firmwares over the years, including Merlin. The wireless setup was kind of janky given the equipment I was using and my house layout, so I decided to replace this with a dedicated mesh system (a TP-link Deco).

I became frustrated with the limitations of the system's interface (app only for one thing), and I still had the 68U laying around, so I flashed it with Merlin, put it in front of the Deco with the Asus WiFi turned off, and set the latter to access point. In doing this I saw that Merlin was going to stop supporting that modem this year. So if I want to continue with this type of setup I'll need a new router before long. I'd like some suggestions for what to get.

With the setup I have, I'll be turning of the wireless radios of the new Asus, so it doesn't matter how awesome the WiFi is or isn't. What I would need is basically a router that:
  1. Works nicely as a router in a wired-only configuration (and I don't even know what that would entail) (I don't do online gaming FWIW)
  2. Reasonably priced
  3. Will be supported by Merlin for the foreseeable future
  4. Has a minimum of wireless bells & whistles that would be wasted on my configuration. I realize I'll almost certainly be getting a wireless router, but I don't want to pay extra for state-of-the-art wifi features and hardware that are just gonna get turned off...
Any suggestions? An older model would be fine as long as Merlin support is expected to continue.
Thank you

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online