What's new

Recommendations and Experiences for 802.11ac bridge pair

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fyodor

Regular Contributor
All

I currently have a router in my basement, with various networked devices (computer, streaming device, printers, etc), and a second switch (with additional devices) in my upstairs. They are currently bridged by a MoCA 1.0 link. I was thinking of switching out the MoCA link for an 802.11ac router and bridge.

1. Before I even start, are there bridge/router combinations that can provide MoCA or higher speeds between multiple floors.

2. If so, which bridge/router combinations work best. I was thinking of getting the Netgear R7000 , but I don't know what bridge to pair it with.

3. Beyond average download speeds, do people enjoy a high quality experience streaming continuous content like Blu-ray?

Thanks for the advice
F

I'm having good performance using Asus RT-AC68U as main router and 4 Linksys WUMC710's (which you can get for ~$50 ea)

Router and 3 of the WUMC710 bridges are on the 2nd floor, 1 bridge is on the 1st floor. I think I'm loading them up pretty good too... 4 TiVos, 1 TiVo Stream, 2 XBOX 360s, 1 PC, 1 PS3, 1 Wii, 1 AppleTV - about half or more in use at any given time

I think for the price the WUMC710 bridges cant be beat. The review on SNB wasn't great for them but prior to this I was using 1 Netgear R6300v1 as main router and 2 R6300v1's as bridges and feel like the setup I am using now is faster and more stable, as well as being able to provide simultaneous high bandwidth to all connections.

FWIW I have tried the R7000 and WRT1900AC too - couldn't handle the multiple clients as well

Thanks for the feedback-do you have any issues with the Tivos? How are you file transfer speeds across the network?

I'm having good performance using Asus RT-AC68U as main router and 4 Linksys WUMC710's (which you can get for ~$50 ea)

Router and 3 of the WUMC710 bridges are on the 2nd floor, 1 bridge is on the 1st floor. I think I'm loading them up pretty good too... 4 TiVos, 1 TiVo Stream, 2 XBOX 360s, 1 PC, 1 PS3, 1 Wii, 1 AppleTV - about half or more in use at any given time

I think for the price the WUMC710 bridges cant be beat. The review on SNB wasn't great for them but prior to this I was using 1 Netgear R6300v1 as main router and 2 R6300v1's as bridges and feel like the setup I am using now is faster and more stable, as well as being able to provide simultaneous high bandwidth to all connections.

FWIW I have tried the R7000 and WRT1900AC too - couldn't handle the multiple clients as well