What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That should not be the idea if I put the Mark about which specific traffic I want to be considered downloads, not all the traffic from it.
If you see, only that specific traffic is under that rule, the rest is assigned to their correspondent categories.

Sent from S.G. S9 Plus Duos using Tapatalk
3d973fb428021cfd86352f4c012f44ce.jpg
That's only showing 1/2 the page so I'm not sure what else to tell you. :confused: Not the full story but if its working for you then carry on. :cool:

@raion969 did you also set your gaming device IP to static, under the Lan tab?
Heyy right now i think it is working, why do i have to do this and how can i do it? Or do you mean the command on the botto ad manually add ip to dhcp list, and enable manual ip rule? If yes for what do i need this?

O
Heyy right now i think it is working, why do i have to do this and how can i do it? Or do you mean the command on the botto ad manually add ip to dhcp list, and enable manual ip rule? If yes for what do i need this?
One benefit for setting it to static would be that only that device would be assigned that IP.

Atm only applies to ADSL connections, don't forget to set your per packet overhead value 18 for cable, make sure that 95% of both bandwidth values is set.

Also don't use automatically bandwidth that's for 10gb connections if I remember correctly, use manual bandwidth.

To clarify, I stated that limiting bandwidth increases bufferbloat, as opposed to decreasing it as claimed by FreshJR. The decrease in performance is proportional to the degree to which you limit your connection. For example, if I limit my upstream bandwidth to 4 Mbps (one-third my actual throughput of 12 Mbps), I get an upstream bufferbloat of 180ms, instead of 60 ms. Thus, testing is showing that using the unlimited setting yields the best results. Obviously that flies in the face of the technical explanation provided by FreshJR and others, which is why I registered this account to ask whether I'm doing something wrong.

Encapsulation is not counted against you on Comcast, so using a packet overhead value greater than zero doesn't make sense (please correct me if you think otherwise). I've tested it with 0 and 18 and it doesn't affect my bufferbloat scores on DSLreports.

Again, if anyone can shed light on why testing is showing the opposite compared to what FreshJR is saying should happen, that would be appreciated.

Last edited:
To clarify, I stated that limiting bandwidth increases bufferbloat, as opposed to decreasing it as claimed by FreshJR. The decrease in performance is proportional to the degree to which you limit your connection. For example, if I limit my upstream bandwidth to 4 Mbps (one-third my actual throughput of 12 Mbps), I get an upstream bufferbloat of 180ms, instead of 60 ms. Thus, testing is showing that using the unlimited setting yields the best results. Obviously that flies in the face of the technical explanation provided by FreshJR and others, which is why I registered this account to ask whether I'm doing something wrong.

Encapsulation is not counted against you on Comcast, so using a packet overhead value greater than zero doesn't make sense (please correct me if you think otherwise). I've tested it with 0 and 18 and it doesn't affect my bufferbloat scores on DSLreports.

Again, if anyone can shed light on why testing is showing the opposite compared to what FreshJR is saying should happen, that would be appreciated.
Overhead affects the accuracy of the traffic shapers not the ISP.

Is your modem in bridge mode?

Hi Again,

How is OpenVPN clients considered in QoS?
My upload is 100% being used 24/7, and I've noticed when connecting to VPN through my router speed/latency is terrible.
How can I make VPN traffic considered Max Priority?

How is OpenVPN clients considered in QoS?

Depends if the DPI engine is able to identify it or not. I believe it can if you are using the standard 1194 ports.

My recommendation is to connect to your server, then check the tracked connections. Locate your remote server IP, and see which category is used by it.

Sorry, if this is the wrong thread, but I was reading about the overhead settings for FIOS and saw 18, 44, and 4 as responses. I assume 44 is for coax from ONT, correct? I’m about to run Ethernet from ONT, so that should be 4, correct?

Hey

Should 1 set an dns Server by static ip because i use in the network card and in dhcp dns server 1.1.1.1?

So what i did is basically the gaming rule?

Do i also have to do this?
The CIDR IP range of your gaming consoles has to be passed into the script.

then u have another issue going on. but limiting you ul/dl will not increase bufferbloat. It could however appear to if you priorities are way out of whack.

by limiting your ul/dl you are eliminating the "buffer" of data waiting to be transmitted on your isp end thus removing bufferbloat.

Question, How can I setup "Game Transferring" higher priority?

rHB2L1Y.jpg

Question, How can I setup "Game Transferring" higher priority?

rHB2L1Y.jpg
u cant and cant think of a situation where you would ever want it higher.

streaming, game downloads and regular downloads can and will use your entire bandwidth when in use and is the primary reason for lag spikes in the other categories and the very reason qos was needed. having them at the bottom make sure your voice comms, pc and system gaming and web browsing get thru eliminating the high ping.

u cant and cant think of a situation where you would ever want it higher.
You make a good point. I might need to classify some gaming traffic to the correct category instead.

Do you mind sharing your QoS script via pastebin ?

I'm seeking in doing the same with only leaving 3074 as the main net control port

I know I'm late in responding, and I hope you have figured it out by now. But if not, once you have the script installed. You go to the classification tab under Adaptive QoS. It will have tracked connections if you scroll down a little. Also there's a filter by device box, which you can select whatever device on your network. So you can easily select your console/system, and see what ports, and such, are being used.

Also the tracked connections section without selecting a device, shows all devices connected, and I think up to 300-500 connections at a time. Starting with the highest priority at the top aka RED colored boxes, under the application part of tracked connections. So if you decide you want to move the default traffic that's put under "Net Control Packets". Look for the common ports being used, what protocol being used, and create a rule to reroute that traffic.

To create a rule, at the top of that page, you will see FreshJR Mod in yellow. Click on it, and it will open another section, where you create rules for the script. Under the iptable rules section. There will be four empty boxes for you to create rules. For me I was able to use two of the four open rule boxes. One to take the couple ports, and the protocol being used for the current traffic being put under "Net Control Packets", and move it to another priority, I picked. After that, it's just a matter of finding the gaming port your online game is using to pass its traffic. For me on PS4, Modern Warfare uses port 3074, and gaming traffic is pretty strictly passed over UDP.

Using the "Tracked connections" section. Just select your system, start up a game, and the tracked connections list should fill up some. After the game has started, and you're in a match. Go to the top of the "Classification" tab, and you will see "Automatically refresh data every" and the default is 3 seconds. Click on that box, and select "No refresh". That will stop the tracked connections from updating. Then you can look at the current list of connections to your console/system, and narrow down what ports are being used, and what protocols are being used, which is TCP/UDP. You will see your gaming traffic being passed over the same port, either on the local, or remote port side, and it should be using UDP.

So look for either the local, or remote port side, to be using the same exact port number, take that port, create a rule with that port, and redirect it to the priority you want it. Which "Net Control Packets" is the highest priority you can redirect traffic to. Make sure you select the proper protocol for the rule you make. Which should be UDP. I have seen one or two connections using 3074 with TCP. However from my digging into that traffic. It come back to stats data being collected from matches, and such. Which isn't traffic that needs to be prioritized at all.

Using the "Tracked connections" section. Just select your system, start up a game, and the tracked connections list should fill up some. After the game has started, and you're in a match. Go to the top of the "Classification" tab, and you will see "Automatically refresh data every" and the default is 3 seconds. Click on that box, and select "No refresh". That will stop the tracked connections from updating. Then you can look at the current list of connections to your console/system, and narrow down what ports are being used, and what protocols are being used, which is TCP/UDP. You will see your gaming traffic being passed over the same port, either on the local, or remote port side, and it should be using UDP.

So look for either the local, or remote port side, to be using the same exact port number, take that port, create a rule with that port, and redirect it to the priority you want it. Which "Net Control Packets" is the highest priority you can redirect traffic to. Make sure you select the proper protocol for the rule you make. Which should be UDP. I have seen one or two connections using 3074 with TCP. However from my digging into that traffic. It come back to stats data being collected from matches, and such. Which isn't traffic that needs to be prioritized at all.

@lilstone87, Thanks for the detailed explanation. Quick clarification for me based on your input...when looking at the local or remote port when gaming on Gears of War 5, am I only looking for UDP ports and does the port need to show on both local and remote to make the rule, or can it only show a port in the local port (or vice-versa only in remote port section) area and create the rule for this port? Basically, does the same port need to show on both local and remote and then create the rule when you find the matching ports (local and remote) or can the port just show under say local only and then create the rule, or does it matter whether you see the port on both local and remote or only once i.e. either local or remote? Please excuse my ignorance.

Last edited:
@lilstone87, Thanks for the detailed explanation. Quick clarification for me based on your input...when looking at the local or remote port when gaming on Gears of War 5, am I only looking for UDP ports and does the port need to show on both local and remote to make the rule, or can it only show a port in the local port (or vice-versa only in remote port section) area and create the rule for this port? Basically, does the same port need to show on both local and remote and then create the rule when you find the matching ports (local and remote) or can the port just show under say local only and then create the rule, or does it matter whether you see the port on both local and remote or only once i.e. either local or remote? Please excuse my ignorance.

No the same port doesn't need to show on both local, and remote. It's a matter of finding the common port being used. Normally one of them will be using the same port, for multiple connections. Like for me on PS4 Call of Duty Modern Warfare, port 3074 is used on the local side to pass in game traffic, and I made a rule for that.

I will attach the two screenshots I grabbed after I stopped the connections from refreshing once I was in a game, not the game lobby, but in an actual match. As you will see port 3074 on the local is used, with the remote port side being a lot of different ports, trust me there's many of them, that image I only grabbed a few of the connections using 3074 on the local side. I didn't want to have a big screenshot, so I only included a smaller number of them. So when creating a rule, it's much easier to find the "one" main common port being used, and make a rule for that.

With that said, there was three connections using 3074 on the remote port side. Two using UDP, and one using TCP. I took the time to look up the IP's using remote port of 3074, as you will see by the start of the IP's, they're all the same. When I looked them up, all three came back to demonware. Which looking them up, COD, and a couple other games, use them for matchmaking/stats related data. Nothing I found suggest they're used to pass actual in game data. So I left these three connections under their default priority.

So I ended up making one rule, that was gaming related to COD. I selected UDP as the protocol, I entered 3074 as the local port, and finally, I selected in my case "Net Control Packets" as the priority to send it to. I found the two common ports that were used to pass traffic under "Net Control Packets" within my network, and rerouted that traffic to another priority. Anyways I hope all this isn't to confusing.

PS4 COD port being used.png

PS4 COD port being used remote port side.png

Last edited:
No the same port doesn't need to show on both local, and remote. It's a matter of finding the common port being used. Normally one of them will be using the same port, for multiple connections. Like for me on PS4 Call of Duty Modern Warfare, port 3074 is used on the local side to pass in game traffic, and I made a rule for that.

I will attach the two screenshots I grabbed after I stopped the connections from refreshing once I was in a game, not the game lobby, but in an actual match. As you will see port 3074 on the local is used, with the remote port side being a lot of different ports, trust me there's many of them, that image I only grabbed a few of the connections using 3074 on the local side. I didn't want to have a big screenshot, so I only included a smaller number of them. So when creating a rule, it's much easier to find the "one" main common port being used, and make a rule for that.

With that said, there was three connections using 3074 on the remote port side. Two using UDP, and one using TCP. I took the time to look up the IP's using remote port of 3074, as you will see by the start of the IP's, they're all the same. When I looked them up, all three came back to demonware. Which looking them up, COD, and a couple other games, use them for matchmaking/stats related data. Nothing I found suggest they're used to pass actual in game data. So I left these three connections under their default priority.

So I ended up making one rule, that was gaming related to COD. I selected UDP as the protocol, I entered 3074 as the local port, and finally, I selected in my case "Net Control Packets" as the priority to send it to. I found the two common ports that were used to pass traffic under "Net Control Packets" within my network, and rerouted that traffic to another priority. Anyways I hope all this isn't to confusing.

View attachment 20682
View attachment 20683
Cod is 3075 for me on Xbox the consilc uses 3074 by default

some ports are not detected and go into default which is why I like it at the top. also a lot of comm's are default as well like teamspeak discord etc which is also important at the top. id put default/gaming/voip/web/media/downloads and be happy foreva :)
@Sinner, I wanted to thank you for providing the customize QoS setup above. In the past I've tried different setups but still continued to lag when gaming. With this setup, my son who plays wireless in his xbox on the 3rd floor hasnt lagged at all with my comcast speeds of 300/10 mbps. I limited my bandwidth to 275/9 mbps and had no issues at all. Thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online