What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Counter Strike Global Offensive (favourite game) puts all data into games so I'm ok.
ok perfect.. this is where everyones qos needs are sort of unique. as long as your gaming ones are high youll be rockin and can have 3 Netflix going with little to no interruption on gaming :)

It doesn't look like the short spurt of gaming was categorised as general is this a problem? Only a small amount of data was transferred as general.
well thats the thing with gaming.. it is generally very small amount of data but its live or die ingame if it doesn't get thru right away.

well thats the thing with gaming.. it is generally very small amount of data but its live or die ingame if it doesn't get thru right away.
@Sinner you were spot on man! My game traffic was identified as CSGO (couter strike global offensive) and came in as general just like you said. Just took my stats a while to show this...:D

So what customize settings wld u choose for gaming as priority 1, streaming 2nd and not much VOIP , surfing, file transfers?

My Categories are:

Here are my categories:

upload_2018-4-28_12-5-42.png

Ok..whats potent portables? Seems like your settings have this option vs VOIP....

Sorry to the youngster, this is a reference to SNL's Celebrity Jeopardy skits from a number of years ago. They always had that one category called "Potent potables" :) Do a Youtube search on "SNL celebrity jeopardy".

Rofl someone using a custom fw i think :)

Nah, just did a binding mount on that webpage, and modified its content for the purpose of that screenshot.

@FreshJR

Noticed an error, I believe, in the Mac instructions within the install spoiler.

2nd line of spoiler for the fast script reads :

Code:
scp /users/YOUR_USERNAME/Downloads/FreshJR_QOS_fakeTC_f384.txt admin@192.168.1.1:/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS

I believe it should read.

Code:
 scp /users/YOUR_USERNAME/Downloads/FreshJR_QOS_fakeTC_f384.txt admin@192.168.1.1:/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS_fakeTC

The original line seems to be missing the end of the file name
Code:
 _fakeTC

BTW your script is working great, my issues with the startup slowness have disappeared completely. Many thanks for the work.

Which is probably the reason I saw that you put "Gaming" low in your priority list.

Bandwidth monster 30gb patches should not be given "gaming / ping priority", but rather be placed into file downloads.

With one of the recent changes, I created a rule that

-If "Gaming" and coming from port 80
or
-If "Gaming" and coming from port 443
-->
Redirect into "Downloads"

This should hopefully mostly leave real gaming traffic in the "Gaming" qos category. With spill over into "Web Surfing/Others" if the traffic is is missing the "Gaming" tag and just has either a "https" or "unidentified" tag by itself.

Is this already in the scripts posted on page 1? If not, can you post it here - still need to wrap my head around making adjustments yet

I have those disabled in mine with gaming set low just above file downloads so its fine. We have only the kids on minecraft for console gaming. Im running a very custon script tho with as few as possible rules

on your 1st 4 lines under for both download and upload, I noticed something different on my script and your script, for instance, on your example you have for the 1st line ($1):

##DOWNLOAD (INCOMMING TRAFFIC) CUSTOM RULES START HERE

realtc filter add dev br0 protocol all prio $1 u32 match ip dport.....

However, on mine the $1 is replace with a 2:

##DOWNLOAD (INCOMMING TRAFFIC) CUSTOM RULES START HERE

realtc filter add dev br0 protocol all prio 2 u32 match ip dport....

I have a '2' for the next 4 lines to follow, however you have $1 on your example. Is this normal?

Yo Curo, can u make a custom script for the fast version?

Yo Curo, can u make a custom script for the fast version?

He made 4 changes. You can figure it out if you open the script with Notepad++

There is extensive documentation in the script itself aswell.

Just make sure to keep ORIGINAL spacing. (no extra or missing spaces, it is sensitive).

@FreshJR thanks...also can u answer my previous question above, the diffrence between '$1' on his script and mine being replaced with a '2' does it matter?

@FreshJR can u answer my previous question above, the diffrence between '$1' on his script and mine being replaced with a '2'?

Pref / Prio defines the order the rule should be checked against the packet in question. (After it matches any rule, subsequent checks are not evaluated.

In old Asus firmware's, unidentified traffic was prio1. As such, I deleted it from prio1 and moved it to prio2. Prio1 was hardcoded for custom rules.
In new Asus firmware's, unidentified traffic was in prio2. As such, I delete it placed custom rules before it, and then placed it. Prio2 was hardcoded once again.

For future firmware stability reasons, I altered the scripts approach and had these hardcoded values have been removed.

Currently, "$1" is supposed to dynamically adjust to the current location of "unidentified traffic". Whether it be 1 for old firmware's, 2 for current firmware's, or potentially entirely different in the future.

All current version scripts in the first post follow the $1 syntax. Feel free to update (or don't). Both method achieve the same thing (as in currently work as intended) except one is intended to be more futureproof.

You can only futureproof so far, since who knows how the rules/syntax will actually change. It's just a theory.

This change was implemented when the "legacy" version of the script was merged into the "compatible" version. (There used to be 3 versions)

Here is my settings for Fast Version and I am using sfq as Queue Discipline, it works better for me than fq_codel.

- "Gaming" traffic coming from ports 443 and 80 into "Others".
- "Routes Unidentified" Traffic into webUI adjustable "VOIP" traffic container, instead of "Default" traffic container.
- "Snapchat" Traffic into "Web".
- "Video_DownBandPercent=40" the rest in "10".
- My Categories are:
K2AVczA.png

Ill try it out and let u guys know. Thanks for sharing...

Update: Yo Curo, i used your settings for 1 of the only games I played alot, Gears of War 4 and i was lagging (wireless) every other round so i went back to the original (FreshJR) settings w/ minor adjustments and im good to go again....
The only thing different im using for categories is using 'game' mode vs the 'customize' mode, this option causes less lag for my gaming gears...

Last edited:
i was lagging (wireless) every other round

Did you setup the custom gaming device rule CIDR ip range dealing with unidentified gaming traffic WHICH is commented out by default !!

(It is commented out since your gaming device need a static defined IP range that I cannot be aware of ahead of time)

The first three posts will get an update soon to make this process more verbose.

I still recommend fq-codel. Feel free to expirment in that aspect tho.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!