What's new

remote backup of two usb hard drives connected to 2 asus routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

heehee62

Occasional Visitor
I've got 2 homes (mine and my moms) set up with an asus ac-rt66u router. Both also have a hard drive connected to a usb port on the router. The homes are on separate networks.

I want all the files on my mom's hard drive to be automatically backed up to the hard drive in my home.

Is there a way to do this? I thought this was possible using the router but I can't figure out how to do it.

Thanks.

It would be faster, less taxing on the network and less load on the router, if you connected the HDD directly to the computer it self. Then use a back up software with scheduling capabilities to back up your moms files on to external hdd that is connected by usb. Plus its far more reliable then going through the router.

Or, use secondary internal HDD to back up her files.

You can also use google drive to auto backup selected files, folders, etc.

Last edited:
It would be faster, less taxing on the network and less load on the router, if you connected the HDD directly to the computer it self. Then use a back up software with scheduling capabilities to back up your moms files on to external hdd that is connected by usb. Plus its far more reliable then going through the router.

Or, use secondary internal HDD to back up her files.

You can also use google drive to auto backup selected files, folders, etc.

I travel with my laptop so I'd prefer not to have to attach an HDD to it all the time.

I have a wd mybooklive that backs up to my hard drive daily and it's not too taxing. I might get another nas and then do remote backup to it if the router can't handle the load though I'm really hoping it can. I don't care about speed of backup since its all being done in the background anyway.

Well, it looked like it was working and but it wasn't copying anything. I think it's either cause there's too many subfolders, only copies what's new and not already in the folder, doesn't copy stuff in subfolders, or it's just not working.

Either way, guess I'll be getting another NAS. Sucks all routers seem to promise way more than they can deliver.