What's new

Remote connection to my home server from my laptop (both win10)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nzwayne

Installing Merlin's code in my ASUS RT-AC87U router, a new world of options and possibilities. When traveling I want to be able to connect to my home server (win10) via my laptop (win10) and even ideally my iPhone 8 to access various files.
Is there a write up or doc on how to setup OpenVPN (assumed OpenVPN much better then FTP) to achieve such a goal. Searched around the forum and wider, found nothing that really applied? Thks in advance.

Do you need to be able to log on to your server remotely or do you just need access to files stored on it?

Do you need to be able to log on to your server remotely or do you just need access to files stored on it?
I would feel more comfortable with security, if I had to logon.

I use a free TeamViewer account to access my server.
Thanks, playing with Teamviewer, very simple and intuitive. On a linked question...if I wanted a buddy to link to my server and only have access to my MP4 sport match files in a windows folder, what process or tool would be best for them?

FTP or SFTP would be the easiest, imo.
Had my suspisions that FTP/SFTP may be the easier process for "a buddy". Is there a "how too" thread, doc. etc. on how to setup FTP/SFTP on a ASUS router with Merlin's code..plus...any setup on the Win10 server containing the files? Thanks so much.

You would install FTP/SFTP server software on your server that would run as a service and listen for connections. I’ve heard that FileZilla can be used for this but I’ve not used it myself, nor do I know if there is a better option. Then you would use port forwarding on your router to forward the necessary ports to your server.

Obviously this is all very high level. There are guides out there for setting up port forwarding.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online