What's new

Remote Desktop Connection on LAN (RT-AC68U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

skylt

New Around Here
Hi, this should be a very basic question - I upgraded from a RT-N66U yesterday to a RT-AC68U and tripled the WiFi speeds in my home which is great - but this router has a lot more features than my old one so I have enabled the AIprotection for example.

My problem is that Remote Desktop Connection between my computers on the LAN has stopped working - which setting do I need to get Remote Desktop to work on LAN (I don't want it enabled from internet / WAN)
All computers run different versions of Windows 10 and they have not changed only the router

Thanks for hints to a solution

Hi, this should be a very basic question - I upgraded from a RT-N66U yesterday to a RT-AC68U and tripled the WiFi speeds in my home which is great - but this router has a lot more features than my old one so I have enabled the AIprotection for example.

My problem is that Remote Desktop Connection between my computers on the LAN has stopped working - which setting do I need to get Remote Desktop to work on LAN (I don't want it enabled from internet / WAN)
All computers run different versions of Windows 10 and they have not changed only the router

Thanks for hints to a solution

It should just work. Did you change the subnet address range for your home network?

Try connecting using the IP address instead of the remote computer's name.

I always use the IP adress when using Remote Desktop Connection but that did not work either - in the end I had to find a keyboard and a display and plug it in order to look for the root cause.

The reason it did not work was that Windows 10 assumed the new network was a public network by default and that file sharing and discovery was disabled. The only thing that was changed was the gateway ID and the MAC adress everything else was configured exactly as before but it seems windows is clever and realised this is not the secure private network I'm used too ;)

Case Closed!

skylt

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!