What's new

Remote/Portable Wifi Extender

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

taveirne

New Around Here
Hi all

I have a question regarding a remote or portable wireless extender.

Allow me to give you some background first. I work for a fruit packing company and as such have multi cold stores throughout the site. The pallets of fruit all have labels on them with a barcode identifiying each pallet. We use Datalogic handheld scanners to be able to scan each barcode and the software will display the details of the pallet such as it's contents and quantity.

The problem is that the wifi signal is extremely poor inside these stores. Seeing as we have 16 stores in one area we can't afford to put a wifi box in each store to get full signal. Also some of the stores are controlled atmosphere and therefore we're not allowed to drill holes in the walls/ceiling for cables etc. The nature of the stores also means that the walls are extremely thick. The door to the store is quite large so we do get signal in the front of the store, but as you head to the back, it disappears completely.

My idea is to have remote/portable wifi extender or repeater and put it in the door to transmit into the store. The problem is I can't find one to buy.

I've had limited success with a laptop and two wifi cards (one built-in and one usb dongle). This works but the standard software on Windows is very limited and means that the connection has to be setup for each use: similar to pairing two bluetooth devices.

Is there any software out there that allows a connection to be setup in a sort of access point mode which is constantly transmitting, rather than ad-hoc which waits for a connection? Can you think of any other ways of improving signal inside these stores? I have thought about directional aerials but these won't work as the stores cover to large an area.

I'd appreciate any advice you have!

Many thanks!

Adam

I would experiment using an inexpensive wireless router as the repeater. This can be done using 3rd party firmware like DD-WRT and creating a wireless repeater bridge. A Linksys WRT54G would work great if you get an earlier version that has the removable antennas. You could configure it to use one or two high gain omni directional antennas and you would just set it up by the door like you were doing with your laptop. It would associate with your main AP and then rebroadcast the signal inside of the building. I think this could work well especially if the signal from your main AP is pretty strong right at the doorway yet fades inside of the building.

Usually these boxes can be had very inexpensively by doing a little E-Bay shopping. Configuration is not difficult AND if you can't seem to get it to work well you'll only be out $20 or so, no big deal.

This is something i've looked into, but it's not very portable! We've no electricity sockets in or near the stores and solution needs to be able to be carried from store to store.

Sorry for shooting down another suggestion but there are two problems with that.

1) We don't get any mobile phone or 3G reception in the required area, only wifi. 3G wouldn't be much use anyway as it's not internet we're after but just a connection to our server which is on site.

2) I'm in the UK!

I know that 2 isn't a problem as I can always get a UK one but I thought i'd mention it anyway!

I'll assume that your "server" is a notebook, so is self powered.

Commercial APs and repeaters are all DC powered and draw much less power than a notebook (~5-7W). So I'd use an off-the-shelf repeater and plug it into a rechargeable battery pack.

EnGenius has a few models that would work. The ESR9850 can be used in Repeater mode and can have higher gain antennas attached. Also there are ECB3500 and ECB9500 that can be used as repeaters.

Nope. The "server" is an actual server!

So is there really no battery powered repeater? I find this hard to believe!

Nope. The "server" is an actual server!

So is there really no battery powered repeater? I find this hard to believe!
None that I know of. But, as noted above, simple to make.

You don't drive to each location with some sort of small car do you? If so, you could make a cable to power the router that's acting as a repeater from any convenient 12 volt source.

Sadly not. The stores are so close we walk around. I'll look into the options above then and let you know how I get on.