What's new

replace Mediacom's equip

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jaekae57

New Around Here
Hi. I'm looking to replace my internet provider's (Mediacom) combo router/modem. I'm currently 'renting' their Hitron Coda-4589. Looking for suggestions to buy my own new router and modem (or a combo unit?). The only specs they tell me that are necessary is that the modem has to be 3.1 . My needs are for streaming on 3 different tv's in 3 different rooms. No internet phone. No gaming. Mediacom has done away with their cable tv coming through the cable hooked to the back of your tv or tv converter box. Now everything is either streamed through a little Tivo box or I can use my Firestick and use the Xtream app (which I'm doing) My current setup just isn't working well. I've got an old house (1909) with lots of separate rooms so I imagine it's harder to get that wifi signal to where it needs to be. New to this group and have an average understanding of how this stuff works, so be patient with me!

Last edited:
What country are you in ?
It sounds like you don't need general wifi, just connection to TVs, correct ?
Is there coax cable to each room or room of interest ?
If so, what is the spec RG-59 or RG-6 ?

A plot plan view of each floor would be helpful, showing the walls and any cabling outlets, cable entry points, existing Hitron, users, etc. Rough overall dimensions as well.

Given that the Hitron is a AC wave 2 device, your not likely to see much if any improvement replacing it with a single AX unit. IF the walls are as interfering as you think they are, you will want to use ethernet backhaul between the central wireless router and access points. You might as well keep the Hitron and use it, with or without the wireless turned on.

Last edited:
I'm in the USA. No, I most certainly need ONLY good wifi. As I (tried) to state in initial post, Mediacom no longer uses coax to each room/tv/cable box. They have transitioned to wifi (TIVO) boxes (or I can use my firestick with the Mediacom Xtream app). The ONLY place I have Mediacom cable connected to is the back of the Hitron modem/router. I'm just trying to get better speed/wifi connection to my tv's for general tv watching or streaming with Netflix, etc. Right now, I have good signal as long as I'm using the SD channels on my Firestick or tivo box.....when I switch to the HD channels, that's when I get buffering. Perhaps I need a mesh system? Like I said, be patient with me!

If there is cable in the wall, not connected to anything, you may be able to use it for MOCA to distribute the ethernet LAN to near the TV locations. Then use one or more APs to create a high bandwidth wireless signal at the TVs. Wired backhaul works more reliably than wireless backhaul ( aka "mesh" ). That doesn't mean wireless backhaul cannot work.
Just replacing your existing Hitron with an AX class wireless router/modem may or may not make any difference since the Hitron is already AC wave 2 spec. If they are renting the Hitron to you, then sure, you can save the money and replace with your own box. Just don't expect much if any wireless coverage distance or throughput improvement.

Without seeing anything about the physical layout of the house, the walls, etc and the location of the Hitron and the client TVs, we really can't tell you much of value. All you can do is experiment. Just make sure the store you purchase from allows open box returns.

One other possibility is that the client devices at the TVs are the issue rather than the Hitron. If you are able to use an iPad or laptop or phone ( wifi only mode) in the same area as a TV, do you see the same bandwidth limitations ?

Another question about the Hitron . Are you able to log in and configure the radios for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wifi ?
If so, look for a setting on the 2.4Ghz radio that specifies channel width. It will be something like 20 only, 20/40, 20/40/80 etc. Set it to 20/40.
Same sort of thing on the 5 GHz radio - set to 40/80. Do not set to 160. Turn off Auto for both if available.
This can help the effective throughput and might solve your HD streaming issue.

Another question about the Hitron . Are you able to log in and configure the radios for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wifi ?
If so, look for a setting on the 2.4Ghz radio that specifies channel width. It will be something like 20 only, 20/40, 20/40/80 etc. Set it to 20/40.
Same sort of thing on the 5 GHz radio - set to 40/80. Do not set to 160. Turn off Auto for both if available.
This can help the effective throughput and might solve your HD streaming issue.
I was able to log in and looked at the radios....they tell me only the 2.4ghz applies to me and that I can't use the 5G. Under the 2ghz, under the 'radio' tab, for the channel width, I only have one choice and that's 20mhz. No other choices.