What's new

Replace WBR-2310

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rv1458

New Around Here
We recently moved to a new house and have been having trouble getting coverage throughout the whole house. Speed/signal can be fine sometimes, and then the signal will drop suddenly be really slow or disconnect. It may be interference from neighbors wireless as we can get either neighbors wireless signals better than our own in most parts of the house. Our ISP is only about 5mbps, so not super fast by some standards, but we just want to be able to get a good connection in the whole house. Gigabit throughput isn't really an issue...

Our house is about 2,400 sq. ft. and the WBR-2310 is in one corner of the house on the second floor. Not a great location, but that's where it is. We have about 7 devices typically connected to wifi throughout the house.

None of the neighbors wi-fi is 5ghz, so I'm wondering if a move to a 5ghz wireless router (though I'd prefer a simultaneous dual band in case someone visiting our home needs to use a device that does support 5ghz) would solve our problems.

So, is our house to big and we need to look at doing multiple APs, or would simply upgrading from the very old WBR-2310 to newer technology on 5Ghz solve our problem?

If replacing is recommended, which device? ASUS RT-N56U? Linksys EA3500, EA4500 (px difference is only $15 on Amazon)? Something else?

Last edited:
5 GHz will decrease your range.

The WBR-2310 is an 802.11g (G54) class router. If your devices are 802.11n, then an N router should provide higher throughput / speed. It might also increase your range due to better radios.

For N600 class routers (the biggest seller right now), the Ranker shows Linksys E3200 and ASUS RT-N56U as best for range.

Thanks thiggins. I guess I thought that it might actually be an interference issue more than a range issue and that perhaps going to 5ghz with no other routers in the area operating might actually be better despite the theoretical decrease in range...

I may just order and N56 and try it out in both 2.4 and 5ghz...

And yes, all our devices are 802.11N. Only one is AC, which is why I'm not really considering AC routers.

Last edited:
Thanks thiggins. I guess I thought that it might actually be an interference issue more than a range issue and that perhaps going to 5ghz with no other routers in the area operating might actually be better despite the theoretical decrease in range...

I may just order and N56 and try it out in both 2.4 and 5ghz...

And yes, all our devices are 802.11N. Only one is AC, which is why I'm not really considering AC routers.
That's a good approach. Experimenting yourself is the only way you will really know.

You should see a big difference with an N router and N devices in any case. Let us know how you make out.