What's new

Replace WR1043ND V1 (<= 100€)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MozartGER

New Around Here
Hi,

first of all thank you for this site and community!
So here is my situation:

I've recently upgraded from 100/10 mbps to 200/20 mbps and my old WR1043ND with OpenWrt can't provide the full 200 mbps downloadrate (it caps at ~ 140-150 mbps).
Connecting the PC directly to my Aris modem, the whole bandwith can be used.
I'm using two PCs and one mediaplayer via LAN and three smartphones, one tablet and one SmartTV via WLAN.
The WR1043ND's WLAN capabilites are sufficient for my needs and I don't care about aspects regarding NAS or filesharing.
However I'm playing a lot of FPS and RTS multiplayer on my pc.
Do I have to take this into consideration because of latency or ping issues?

I guess the most important metric should be WAN to LAN Throughput.
My provider intends to offer a 800/200 mbps connection until the end of this year and I plan to upgrade immediately.

Which router would fit best?

ASUS RT-AC56U vs TP-LINK Archer C7 V2

Or shall I spend more money, maybe up to 150€?
Or are those routers already overkill for my needs?

Thanks for reading,

Mozart

I guess the most important metric should be WAN to LAN Throughput.

then you need to consider

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/view

th wan - lan throughput is with router features and qos disabled and in reality you need to about halve the figure for real world wan - lan speed

Archer C7
so considering the above the c7 will do about 400M

and the ac56u abiut 380M

its not hard and fast 1/2 the speed but to be safe use 1/2 to ensure it will do the speed you want

My provider intends to offer a 800/200 mbps connection until the end of this year and I plan to upgrade immediately.

so knowing the above and from what those that have gone with 1gig connections you might find this not possible with a domestic grade router at this stage and may want to consider some sort of gateway pc with server software to get those sort of speeds

food for thought

pete

Last edited:
Hey thanks for your answer!

I've already studied the chart, but I didn't know that real world performance is only 1/2 of the given data.
So the Asus RT-AC56U isn't even able to reach 400 mbps wan-lan throughput?
I mean I've never used QoS or any other priority settings, are they even necessary?

I guess I will just get a router capable of handling my 200 mbps speed and I will think about the situation once I've got the 800 mbps.

Thanks again for the help!