What's new

Replacing AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

palmaholic

Occasional Visitor
I'd like to retire my AC88U since the ports 5-8 die/hang more frequently than their early days. What should I do next inside the ASUS family? It's currently in a mesh, wired backhauling with another AX88U being the main one. They are housed in a 3-floor house.
I'm considering getting either the AC88U Pro or the XT12. The latter seems better as it has 3 bands (I'm just planning to get one unit), but I'm sceptical of its internal antennas. Am I over-worried? What other models should I consider as well? I really appreciate any advice you can provide.

I would get a new RT-AX88U Pro, make it main, convert the existing RT-AX88U to a node. This setup comes with limitations, but at least is reusing the existing router.

I would get a new RT-AX88U Pro, make it main, convert the existing RT-AX88U to a node. This setup comes with limitations, but at least is reusing the existing router.
Is it fine to go with the XT12? I ordered it on Amazon a few hours ago since only two were left. Should I cancel it and order the AX88U Pro instead?

You don't need 3-band router when wired backhaul is available. The main purpose of this 3rd radio is wireless backhaul. You are paying more for something you don't need or something you like better as appearance. If you like ZenWiFi Pro XT12 better as appearance - get a set of two and replace both old routers. This way you'll get full Asuswrt 5.0 features to both main + node with no limitations. It's up to you.

Last edited:
Gotcha. Appreciate your advice. Truly valuable.
I decided to keep the XT12 since the price difference was about £12. Honestly, I'm sceptical of its signal power, hope it's par to the AX88U.

What you have to know about this XT12 is the fact it's not really tri-band, but dial-band with split 5GHz band. 5GHz-1 radio can work on lower channels only, 5GHz-2 radio can work on higher channels only. Higher channels in the UK are all in DFS and not guaranteed to work. This router most likely won't have recently allowed in the UK U-NII-3 band on 5GHz. It also doesn't have USB port and if you want to try Asuswrt-Merlin firmware one day with available Custom Scripts this will be a serious limitation. It's not very popular around SNB Forums not only because it's expensive. I would return it.

Last edited:
What you have to know about this XT12 is the fact it's not really tri-band, but dial-band with split 5GHz band. 5GHz-1 radio can work on lower channels only, 5GHz-2 radio can work on higher channels only. Higher channels in the UK are all in DFS and not guaranteed to work. This router most likely won't have recently allowed in the UK U-NII-3 band on 5GHz. It also doesn't have USB port and if you want to try Asuswrt-Merlin firmware one day with available Custom Scripts this will be a serious limitation. It's not very popular around SNB Forums not only because it's expensive. I would return it.
Oh, thanks for your advice. With it, I've cancelled my order.
I saw the Pro series are the ones to get these days due to the future firmware upgrades. Apart of AX88U Pro, any other recommendations? Thanks.

P.S. I found that the GT-AX11000 Pro is sold at £320, which is £111 more than the AX88U Pro. Does it make sense to get an additional band for £111? Otherwise, the spec are almost the same.

Last edited:
GT-AX11000 Pro is also dual-band tri-radio model with split 5GHz band. I see you like multiple bands for some unknown to me reason - GT-AXE16000 is a "quad-band" model. You can calculate the price per band, I don't know how much it costs in the UK. I told you what fits better on reasonable price and saves you some money reusing your old router. My next answer to your Asus family question is going to cost you £50. 🤭

GT-AX11000 Pro is also dual-band tri-radio model with split 5GHz band. I see you like multiple bands for some unknown to me reason - GT-AXE16000 is a "quad-band" model. You can calculate the price per band, I don't know how much it costs in the UK. I told you what fits better on reasonable price and saves you some money reusing your old router. My next answer to your Asus family question is going to cost you £50. 🤭
Thanks. I just struggle with this Mesh network. Yes, I admit I'm thinking too much, worrying my next rental place won't allow wired backhaul. That's why I keep thinking of a three-band router. Powerline was horribly poor here. At least, tried it in 2 different places, the speed was just some single digit megabits.

Wouldn't consider the AXE16000, its too expensive indeed.

worrying my next rental place won't allow wired backhaul

This is a valid point, but wireless backhaul in DFS may not work in your next rental place. You may not even need a second router in your new rental place. And there is no futureproofing with mostly disposable consumer products. Next time you move your new router may be End-of-Life. Who knows? If I was moving quite often I would get something like GL.iNet GL-MT2500 for gateway, runs OpenWrt and super small, plus something like Deco X50 2-pack for APs. Total price about £200 at the moment, everything fits in a shoe box. You just stuck to Asus family and want more family members.