What's new

Replacing my WG602 AP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

caskater4

New Around Here
Hello all,

I'm trying to replace my very aged Netgear WG602 with a fancy new N-based access point or router. In my network setup I have the following...

Netgear FVS124G router
D-Link DGS-1008P switch (primary)
Netgear GS608 switch
Netgear GS605 switch

and the Netgear WG602 i'm trying to replace.

My home is single level rectangular shape that is more or less open corridor throughout the length of it. So interference should be at a minimum. Distance wise the majority of the clients using the AP would probably be within 30ft of the AP within that open space. Maximum throughput is my utmost priority (streaming HD video, large file transfers, etc).

It makes sense to me that a PoE access point is the best choice so that I can mount it near the ceiling for best coverage and such a location is not near an available power outlet. As a result I'm thinking that the D-Link DAP-2553 is the current best choice but I have to wonder if this is true because it's a few years old at this point. Surely there are newer, faster products out there that won't break my budget (< $200)?

Is the Linksys E4200 a better option for me? or perhaps something else? Or is the DAP-2553 really the best option for me?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: