What's new

Replacing old wrt54g

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dougie130

New Around Here
Hello new to this forum I hope you can help.

I have a couple of WRT54 linksys routers. One is set as my Access point and has 7dbi antennas, the other has DD-WRT firmware on it and is used as a wireless bridge to connect to a foxsat hd (iplayer) and pioneer vsx-921 ( for airplay).

Problems. The signal strenght in the bedroom where my airplay speakers are is poor and sometimes it cuts out when I'm streaming music (two walls and furthest away from the router). I am looking to replace the AP router. I'm using channel 13 as it sames to be the clearest one and WPA-2.

I have tried the DLink DIR-645 and it was useless (I tried all channels and settings I could think of) . It had better though put 10 feet from the router but through two walls and at the farside of the house the Linksys out performed it. Also Airplay rarely worked at all in the desired location. Is wireless g better at distance than wireless n?

So can anyone recommend a router that can give me similar range at wireless n speeds? I was thinking linksy e4200 v2 or Asus Rt n66u. I know both are over kill in terms of features from my needs, but if they give me the range and speed I need then I would consider them.

Thanks for any help.

Dougie