What's new

[REQ] Exclude devices for ipv6 address assignment

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FLA NL

Occasional Visitor
Hi Merlin,

Would it be possible to build something to exclude devices from ipv6 address assignment?

Scenario 1: For example I have 1 machine which is using p2p networking and I don't want outgoing traffic over ipv6 because then traffic can go around my ipv4 peer blockers. This is a Windows 7 machine so I resolved this now by removing the ipv6 protocol. But it still it would be nice to handle this in a central point like the router ipv6 dhcp.

Scenario 2: I'm not sure that all devices like my phone handle ipv6 correctly or have a stable connection. Because this android device is not rooted I cannot turn off ipv6.

It's just a thought that this might become handy, don't know if others would like this also or if it's easy to implement.

The proper way to handle this is at the client level, not at the router level. The router simply advertises to the whole network, it's each client who decides if he wants to use that broadcast information or not. I don't think that radvd is able to do anything about this.

The proper way to handle this is at the client level, not at the router level. The router simply advertises to the whole network, it's each client who decides if he wants to use that broadcast information or not. I don't think that radvd is able to do anything about this.

Ok. Thanks for your answer.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!