What's new

Review NVRAM-intensive settings - how-to?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MarvinAndro

Occasional Visitor
As soon as I upgraded to 380.64 the yellow bang started flashing saying I'm low on NVRAM and should "review nvram-intensive settings..."

I've got only one OpenVPN server setup and a bunch of static MAC bindings for the gear I want to stick to the same IP. Before hitting the start-over-from-scratch button, could anyone point me to how to find what's eating the NVRAM and do some clean up?

Sorry, if someone has already posted a "review and clean-up your nvram-intensive settings" write-up and I'm not finding it in the forums.

Thanks!

Thanks a lot @john9527

Here's what I got with the top 5:
size: 63990 bytes (1546 left)
3086 dhcp_staticlist
2161 qos_rulelist
2148 custom_clientlist
1918 client_info_tmp
1418 MULTIFILTER_MACFILTER_DAYTIME

Top 5 hitters aren't that heavy.
Most likely it's the sheer volume of variables as even the sump of the top 30 is around 16K.
What do I want but not need, decisions, decisions....

AC3100 has more NVRAM, I guess or not? I'm looking at $270 special on bestbuy.ca and it says 128 MB Flash, 512 MB RAM. How much of this is NVRAM?

Last edited:
Unset client_info_tmp and custom_clientlist.

Hi, if unsetting this variables, what will be the effect ? i.e will the router forget about the client names for each Mac ?

Hi, if unsetting this variables, what will be the effect ? i.e will the router forget about the client names for each Mac ?

The _tmp variable is just a temporary one. I'm not sure if custom_clientlist is still used, since there's now a JFFS file called /jffs/nmp_client_list. It might be a left over from the past, but it's also possible that the webui might be using both - I'm just not 100% sure.

After unset and commit, I see lots of devices under DHCP Server/MAC address column as "New device" and their MAC on the second line. Name is still retained under the Hostname column.
Similarly, on the Adaptive QoS tab I see several "Chromecast" listed (they all had names before) or "Google (Android)"
Perhaps historically they got stored at a different location (NVRAM vs jffs) and now some got wiped when unsetting?

Perhaps historically they got stored at a different location (NVRAM vs jffs) and now some got wiped when unsetting?

I'm unsure how it works. Asus made a lot of changes over the months to the networkmap service, all I know is that some data is now stored in JFFS to save up space. It's possible that they store different data in nvram, and merge the two of them together. On my own router I had different devices listed in both locations.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!