What's new

Router Choice due to dead old router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gregnash

New Around Here
So after about 7yrs of service my old WRT54G v6 finally died on me after a recent power outtage. Nothing on it worked, system would show there was a signal but got NO internet access.

Anyways, wife needed internet access last night on her MacBook Pro and so we just grabbed what we could at 9:30pm, a Cisco Linksys E2000. Basically my choices were between that and the Belkin F7D4302 (not the one reviewed here which is the 4301). Neither seem to have full reviews that I can find so I am wondering should I take the linksys back for the belkin?

Here is what will be connecting wirelessly;
1. Wifes new macbook pro 13"
2. TivoHD via usb wireless-G connector
3. Tivo S2 via usb wireless-G connector
4. Nintendo Wii via wireless
5. Xbox 360 via wireless-G adapter
6. My laptop (rarely used) via wireless-G card
7. Two iPhones (2G and 3GS) via wireless-G

What could I pick up from BB, Costco, Office Depot, Staples, Walmart that would be the same price but give me better performance and range? Or is this really the best I can get for the money right now.

If you're happy with the Linksys, keep it. The Belkin won't provide significantly better performance or range.

thanks thiggins.... It seems that the WRT320n and the E2000 are the exact same router?! Can I flash the E2000 with the dd-wrt file for the WRT320N and have it work? Would I benefit from having dd-wrt on the router? I have a/b/g set to channel 11 (as I thought that was one of the more under used channels) and still dont have great range on the signal. Would dd-wrt improve that at all or can you suggest a better channel?

yeah I did read through that article and saw that it did not necessarily do anything. Guess I will just stick with the standard firmware, v1.0.01, and hope that they keep releasing firmwares to improve stuff.

What is another good A/B/G channel that I can latch onto? Current running on channel 11 as I thought that was one of the more underused channels, but I could have that backwards???

EDIT:
Also just read something that said this was not simultaneous dual-band?! Does that mean I cannot have N and G items connected at the same time? Or does this pertain more to that fact that there are two separate networks; one for a/b/g and one for N?

Last edited:
The only way to know channel use is to use a program that shows wireless networks and the channels they are on. A popular current program is inSSIDer http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider.

Choose channel 1, 6 or 11 based on the weakest and fewest channels you see.

Dual-band means a router operates in 2.4 and 5 GHz frequency bands. 802.11b,g,n use 2.4 and 802.11a,n use 5.

You can mix N and G or N and A devices on a single radio. But speed for both client types will be reduced when they are active at the same time. You don't need to worry about this unless you are doing long downloads and, say trying to watch streaming video at the same time.

Ok from what I could tell this is only a single-radio, dual-band router. I currently have the 2.4ghz for a/b/g mix and 5ghz for n-only. But they will all be running on the same radio, is that what you are saying? Been outta this for quite a while so now I am suddenly trying to do some catch-up. I want to pick up the N adapter for my Xbox and TivoHD eventually as my wife's macbook is the only thing on the N-only network right now.

If you want to use both bands at the same time, you need two routers or a router with two radios ("simultaneous" dual band).

I would not recommend an 5GHz for N strategy unless you can live with reduced range. 5 GHz signals fade much more quickly than 2.4 GHz when going through walls.

In my situation where I will technically only have a couple devices on the N-only channel and the rest on a/b/g would it be prefereable to do that?