What's new

Router choice for coverage and future-proofing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ozymandyus

Occasional Visitor
Good day folks, like most here I use the excellent Merlin firmware so as I'm making a choice to replace my aging router, I naturally am going to select one supported by the project. Besides Merlin compatibility, my main criteria is the router that will give the best coverage...particularly in an older house that tends to attenuate signals on lesser routers. I'm willing to pay up for more expensive models if that's what it takes, but don't want to just throw money at something unless it offers tangible benefits.

From reading other threads here, it sounds like the best options would be either the RT-88U, the RT-5300 or the RT-AC3100, but I've read conflicting information on which might be the best option. If anyone could share their opinions on this topic, I would be grateful. Hopefully I can make a good investment and not have to fuss about this for several more years!

It's sounding like the 86U is the ticket now.

Don't trust model numbers in the world of IT, they rarely follow a logical pattern and cause much confusion, like this!

Heh, I suppose I should know better, thank you.

I've gone ahead and read through the review here on the site in detail for the 86U, thank you for the advice. The one thing he doesn't seem to get into much detail about is real world coverage in a home. Can anyone who has this router relate their experiences, good or bad, with how well this router covers their home?

depending on which "aging" router you're looking to replace, this thread may be of interest to you:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-released-rt-ac68u-firmware-3-0-0-4-384-10007.43112/
and scroll down to the bottom of this page:
https://www.asus.com/aimesh/

Also very good to know, thank you sir! I'm replacing a 68U (very early model) that is still mostly very good but leaves a couple of dead spots. From the looks of that list, I should be able to purchase an 86U as my new main, and re-purpose the 68U into an AP, if I still need more coverage?

Also very good to know, thank you sir! I'm replacing a 68U (very early model) that is still mostly very good but leaves a couple of dead spots. From the looks of that list, I should be able to purchase an 86U as my new main, and re-purpose the 68U into an AP, if I still need more coverage?
quite correct, bingo, bullseye...giddyup!

Cheers, folks! I'll pick up an 86U and update this thread later with a report on how well it handles the current dead spots.

Also reading another thread the RT-AC86U is also the choice if you plan on using OpenVPN.

Hey folks, as promised I thought I'd post an update. I purchased the modem a couple of weeks ago, and have had it in constant use. The coverage of it is sufficiently better that I can now traverse the house without having any connection drops, a great improvement. There are still a few places that are a little bit spotty, so assuming the AICloud feature still works with the Merlin builds, I think I'll deploy the old modem as a signal booster.

I really need to change out my AC66U and the AC86U what I been looking at, not sure i want to speend another 200$ on router, I thought this 66U would last longer

I really need to change out my AC66U and the AC86U what I been looking at, not sure i want to speend another 200$ on router, I thought this 66U would last longer

You might just want to watch Amazon for one of the periodic sales on this, Tsunami. From my experience it's been a worthwhile investment so far.

You might just want to watch Amazon for one of the periodic sales on this, Tsunami. From my experience it's been a worthwhile investment so far.

Oh i sure it be worth it alone for the fact I will be able to put QoS back on and still be able to 200mbit threw put and then some, I had to turn QoS AC66U just so the 200mbit I get wasnt wasted with QOS 66U will barely do 110 threwput.

If i ever see the router on sale I will get but, not for 200$ router is lest things i need to deal with it.

Hey folks, as promised I thought I'd post an update. I purchased the modem a couple of weeks ago, and have had it in constant use. The coverage of it is sufficiently better that I can now traverse the house without having any connection drops, a great improvement. There are still a few places that are a little bit spotty, so assuming the AICloud feature still works with the Merlin builds, I think I'll deploy the old modem as a signal booster.

The transition from router + AP network infrastructure to an AiMesh seems to be a fairly painless one, which in the case of a customer needing an upgrade to deal with similar coverage issues might prove ideal. Right now the router is a 68u, but there are 2 86u's on order for delivery and deployment next week - what will be unfortunate is the loss of amtm/ab-solution/skynet until Merlin gets the 384 stuff from Asus...but that gives @thelonelycoder time to finish up AB-Sv4, @kvic time to get pixelserv-tls tweaked more, the dnscrypt guys to get out of beta...big exciting things are going to start happening!

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!