What's new

Router decision needs and software.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

innoutrulz

New Around Here
I'm trying to decide on a new router. Seems to be right now the R7000 and Asus 68 are the best bang for the buck. I'm open to any though. Are new versions coming out in the next 4-5 weeks? Concerned about privacy also. Small apartment so coverage isn't an issue. Any recommendations and set up would be appreciated.

I'm going to be connecting:

iPad Air 2 (wifi)
iphone 6 (wifi)
Mac Mini (wired)
PC (wired)
Apple TV (wired)
Bluray wired (wired)
Receiver (wired)
Firestick (wifi)

Which firmware would be best on the router. I'm going to want to put a VPN service in the router such as IPvanish or Torguard. I've noticed sites like Ticketmaster don't like IPvanish so is it possible to turn on and off easily in the dashboard or for individual devices? Would also like an adblocker running in the router if that is possible. Tired of all the retargeting ads.

Is it possible to run all my device traffic through the router even when not at home? So my phone and tablet connect through home and use the VPN service.

Thanks in advance.

I haven't tried the ASUS boxes, but I have two R7000's, (router and AP mode) running Merlin firmware - link below. The Merlin FW supports OpenVPN (which I do not use). I have read in some forums where phones and tablets have issues over home router VPN.

The amount of devices you have, will not be an issue for the R7000. QoS plays havoc with CTF on the R7000, on any FW. If you are lucky enough to have a link 100mb+ QoS will need to be disabled in order to have CTF do its job on the router.

RE: new devices to market. It's best to stay away from new / bleeding edge devices, as when they first hit the market, the firmware is typically flaky at best, and instances of hardware DOA's and failure's are more common, resulting in a less than fun time for you and your users..

http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/asuswrt-merlin-on-netgear-r7000.71108/

depends on what VPN type you use and VPN speed you want. You should mention your internet speed and how much VPN speed do you expect to get. You dont have much in wifi requirements though so any wifi router would work even tp-link as long as its a reliable brand/model but the main deciding factor is your internet speed you have and VPN speed and type you want and what features you want in your router.

Theres PPTP, SSTP, openVPN VPN types.

I have 60 Megs via charter. I use IP Vanish as my VPN right now. On the VPN I actually get faster speeds with the VPN software on, than with it off.

What is the advantage to running Merlin vs dd-wrt?

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum also. Not sure if it's possible, but feel free to move this to the wireless forum.

depends on what VPN type you use and VPN speed you want. You should mention your internet speed and how much VPN speed do you expect to get. You dont have much in wifi requirements though so any wifi router would work even tp-link as long as its a reliable brand/model but the main deciding factor is your internet speed you have and VPN speed and type you want and what features you want in your router.

Theres PPTP, SSTP, openVPN VPN types.

merlin firmware introduces fixes and more features than stock ASUS firmware while retaining the look and performance of stock firmware whereas dd-wrt cannot use hardware acceleration.

For 60Mb/s of VPN a dual core ARM router will be enough but theres not much you can do if you're using openVPN except rely on PPC or x86.

By type of VPN i mean PPTP, SSTP and such not the VPN provider because its the VPN type that matters in performance.