What's new

Router - Ethernet to range extender?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

spas2k

New Around Here
I need some help setting up my home network. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't know much more than setting up a simple router.

About my house.
2 stories + basement.
I have 3 network drops around the house. One in the home theater, 1 office, and 1 main floor. All the network drops lead to the basement along with a cable input so this is where the TW cable modem must go.

I have a wifi router (netgear wndr3300) connected to the cable modem. the modem is acting like a bridge, and all drop connections are connected to the router.

In my main room, I only get about 5mbs a second on the G network. I'd like to speed this up. I have an open Ethernet drop on the first floor and I'd like to know what I need to get to extend the wifi on this floor. I have a netgear range extender, but I can't simply plug the ethernet into the range extender as it seems to cause issues (works at 20mbs, then steadily goes to nothing within seconds).

Is there a range extender that accepts ethernet inputs or do I need to get a different product to create a strong wifi signal on this floor?

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!