What's new

Router or Access Point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Weogo

New Around Here
Hi Folks,

I do live audio production, regularly with a laptop, DSP(Digital Speaker Processor) and digital mixer
connected to either an AC66 or AC68 router, with wireless control of the digital mixer with an Ipad.
No audio is going over the wireless connection, just control signals to the digital mixer, and level signals back to the Ipad.
Everything works fine and I have good range, with only rare dropouts.

I have been told that, since I'm not connected to the internet, all I need is an Access Point, not a Router.
What Access Points have range and quality similar to the AC66/68?
And am I using the correct terminology?

Thanks and good health, Weogo

The RT-AC66U and RT-AC68U can both be run in AP mode, however I'm not sure they will be happy if they have no upstream router. How are IP addresses handled on your network? You'd probably have fewer issues by using a regular router, even without being connected to the Internet, especially since range seems to be an important factor for you.

May have to use it as a router to get IP Addresses assigned.

Hi Y'all,

Thanks for the replies; looks like I'll stick with the ASUS routers.

IP addresses are static.
Yep, range is more important than volume of data.

Are they all the ASUS routers equally reliable?

At an outdoor show this fall the AC68 was in the direct sun and I taped a piece of white paper over the front to keep it from baking in the sun.
Would be great if it came in white!

Thanks and good health, Weogo

At an outdoor show this fall the AC68 was in the direct sun and I taped a piece of white paper over the front to keep it from baking in the sun.
Would be great if it came in white!

Sounds like you have a solution that works, so no changes needed perhaps...

The case itself is easy enough to open - take it apart and feel free to put a light layer of white plastic dye on it...

http://www.vinyldye.co.uk/Paint-Plastic-From-Black-to-White

Should be safe for ABS plastic..

Hi SFX2000,

Thanks for the VinylDye info - I didn't know anything like that existed.

Dlandiss, thanks for the white AC68W link.
DOH! Why didn't I think of this earlier! : -)

Another idea would be trying a small fan in the USB port.

Good health, Weogo

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!