What's new

Router or AP and which one?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Shadowjump

Occasional Visitor
Looking to extend the wifi at my house and I have already installed a cable for an AP/Router. I have a WiFi Repeater but I get half the speed of my DSL (~20Mbps instead of ~50Mbps) when connected to it. Also, in-lan transfer speeds are ridiculous.

I was thinking to install a Ubiquiti AP AC Lite to increase the coverage or a router in AP mode like the R6400 or RT-AC66U. I want fast AC speeds and futureproofing, thats is why I was thinking about these models. My current wifi repeater is a TP-WA850RE.

The following is a diagram of the house. (click for higher res)

As you can see, where there are no walls (doors) the signal is good. But when the signal has to go through walls and embedded closets to the walls, it drops drastically.

In red is the current equipment
The Green lines are the WiFI coverage (with good speeds) in 5GHz with the R7000
The blue box is the location I am going to install the new AP/Router
The walls are pretty thick concrete/brick walls.

In my situtation what would you install? A router in AP or an AP? And what models would you recommend? And no, I dont want to move the R7000 at the spot I want to install the new AP. I want a good signal in that room, since I spend most of my time in the same room with the R7000.

Thanks!

I dont want to move the R7000

no need , but in my humble opinion just get another r7000 and run it in ap mode you can magtch the ssid names if you want but i prefer different ssid names so i know which im connected to

I also prefer different AP names, but my wife does not. Thats why I have to use a single SSID. Hmm.. didnt think about another R7000. You think that would be the best deal eh?

well your used to the interface and it will make fault finding easier , plus the r7000 coverage wise is about as good as it gets coverage wise

The ubiquiti would do just fine. Placing the R7000 in the center should cover your whole area, though.

Yeah, I ordered another R7000 that I am going to use in AP mode. From all the reading I've done the past week, looks like range wise the R7000 is one of the best out there.

I tried an old WDR3600 at the spot of the new ap (blue one in the drawing) and it had worse coverage in 5GHz than the R7000 with all the doors shut! That made my decision to get another R7000. In a few ours it'll be here :D