What's new

Router selection advice; R7800, RT-AC86U, Synology

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I’ve tried all three units. Synology was good but firmware is sluggish and 5GHz WiFi performance is inconsistent.

The Asus 86U is very good and reliable especially with Merlins f/w and is rich with features and options but the 2.4 GHz WiFi is weak and spotty.

Just picked up the Netgear r7800 and installed Voxels f/w and this thing is a BEAST!!! Sure the GUI blows but for pure raw wireless performance - nothing comes close. I’m getting about 25% increased power and range compared to the Asus 86U.

Just found my favorite router of all time! Looks great as well!

I just returned from a much needed wilderness trip, so I have not taken action yet. All of the responses are much appreciated. I am intrigued with the individual component approach. I had not really considered it before because I considered my needs modest and a component system more of a power setup.

While I have a technical engineering background it is not in electronics, but I ‘m confident that I could figure out the configuration of such a system. I also like the thought of running some Cat6 to some devices and thereby reducing the wireless connections. Can you give me a sense of the “startup penalty” for individual components? (20% more work, 2X more work to setup and configure?)

I am a bit surprised that as long since the R7800 has been available, that it still is a top choice.

I would welcome and appreciate recommendations for an individual component approach.

Last edited:
The Synology is a nice unit, but would not recommend if using a VPN as the speeds aren’t great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m using the Synology RT2600-ac and using its VPN. It’s speeds are fantastic. No complaints here.