What's new

Router Suggestion to handle Bit Torrent and Simultaneous Media Streaming?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

A

Aethm

I'm sure these router questions are getting annoying: Sorry in Advance: :rolleyes:

My router just isn't performing up to snuff since I decided to seriously stress it with bit torrent and multiple media streaming connections. It's a D-Link DI-624 that I've had for years. I can't run bit torrent and stream HD media without losing or dropping the media connection. My setup:

Entire house is wired cat5e and all connections are wired except 1 laptop and the Nintendo Wii.

1. Windows Home Server (gigabit nic)
2. Media Center PC (gigabit nic)
3. PS3 (gigabit nic)
4. Office PC (10/100 nic)
5. Xbox 360 x2 (10/100 nic)
6. Nintendo Wii (Wireless G?)
7. Laptop (Wireless N)

I don't need top notch Wireless performance or range. I don't stream anything wireless. I want to be able to run an always on bit torrent and be able to stream HD media to at least 1 Device (extender) Simultaneously. Streaming to 2 or more would be better.

Anyone have router that can do this?

In order to do that you need to use a computer + access point as a router, at least 1 GHz CPU (Atom, Geode, C7) and 1 GB RAM.

The torrents do put load on the CPU and take RAM. Even only file transfers over GBit load the CPU considerably.

The ARM processors load is 100% when such file transfers or downloads.
________
NEW MEXICO DISPENSARIES

Last edited:
Most any router today is going to have plenty more processing power than a DI-624 and handle more simultaneous connections, which is important for Torrent downloads.

I'm not sure why torrent downloads would affect LAN-based HD streaming, however. That traffic should just flow through the switch and not even touch the router.

D-Link routers based on Ubicom CPUs can handle the bandwidth and high simultaneous connections for Torrents. The DIR-625 for a 10/100 switch or DIR-655 if you want a gigabit switch are decent choices.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure what you mean buy using a computer as the router. I use the WHS as an always on bit torrent. It's a self built computer as well. Not the HP. It should have plenty of power. Core duo, 1gb ram, 2 terabytes storage.

I'm not sure why it affects the switch either. I think the switch might be dieing. I've been looking at those D-Link routers for awhile now. I'm glad to get a recommendation.

Sorry, I misunderstood your question as if you wanted to use the router itself to run the bittorrent application w/o computer at all (this is a feature on several Asus routers, they can download and save to usb-attached drives).

As Tim wrote, any current router would handle the number of connections needed. I use quite old WRT54G, and it works well for torrents.
________
Honda gb500

Last edited:
DIR-655 (Giga/Mega wireless G/N router)
External Giga Switch
External Mega Switch

That's about all you need

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online