What's new

Router with best QOS ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

For gaming? I should get my netduma today and test it out... its QOS is said to be very good. SQM works great but requires LEDE or openwdr firmware to run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For gaming? I should get my netduma today and test it out... its QOS is said to be very good. SQM works great but requires LEDE or openwdr firmware to run.

Hmm sounds interesting. Take your time though. No rush.

What are you mostly using the QOS for and what bandwidth?

Steam and Origin (when downloading new games), gaming, surfing the internet, and streaming YouTube videos.

50 Mbps download and 5 Mbps upload :(

netduma is actually mikrotik with a different interface. So if you have the skill you could easily just use mikrotik.
Best QoS however lies with cisco professional and x86, reason being you can implement any QoS algorithm you wish while other manufacturers dont let you add a custom QoS algorithm.

Mikrotik if used well can be very good with QoS which is why you should consider netduma a go. With speeds of 100Mb/s their mips based routers will handle it, and despite netduma claiming to place it behind your router, using netduma as your main router is better.

Yeah I'm having it be my main router and however going to disable the wifi and use my GT-AC 5300 as an ap for wifi. Never heard of that firmware I got to look into it. The only thing I don't like about the Duma is the router its self.

What router has the best QOS please ?

pfSense 2.3.4 seems to be good on x86 with a 150/10 connection... just using HFSC's here without getting too exotic - one can stick shift into fair sharing curves, and bring in codel - which is kinda a fq-codel hybrid thing... supposedly, 2.4 might be even better here...

Anyways, with DSLReports tests - we're A/A/A across the board with current HFSC's implemented, deprecating codel on interfaces (wan/lan)

router in use - Netgate SG-2440

pfSense 2.3.4 seems to be good on x86 with a 150/10 connection... just using HFSC's here without getting too exotic - one can stick shift into fair sharing curves, and bring in codel - which is kinda a fq-codel hybrid thing... supposedly, 2.4 might be even better here...

Anyways, with DSLReports tests - we're A/A/A across the board with current HFSC's implemented, deprecating codel on interfaces (wan/lan)

router in use - Netgate SG-2440

That looks pretty cool what is the wifi like on that thing? I have a larger house so range is an important factor. The netduma has amazing qos; I use it mostly for reducing bufferbloat/jitter for when I take. How would it be possible for me to use the qos on the netduma then if I make my x10 or GT-AC 5300 an AP could I run a "double" qos and if so would this introduce increase in ping? Also would I be able to run my laptop on the netduma via Ethernet then run all the other traffic via wifi with the other router?

That looks pretty cool what is the wifi like on that thing?

It's just a router, no wifi on it, I've got dedicated AP's that I have located directly where traffic generally is...

My WiFi as a result, is pretty good... nothing special there - a couple of Airport Extreme AC's - but they're nice as the Guest WLAN SSID is mapped out to a specific VLAN, so we can manage that from pfSense directly...

It's just a router, no wifi on it, I've got dedicated AP's that I have located directly where traffic generally is...

My WiFi as a result, is pretty good... nothing special there - a couple of Airport Extreme AC's - but they're nice as the Guest WLAN SSID is mapped out to a specific VLAN, so we can manage that from pfSense directly...

I wonder how that thing would do for gaming lol. With my Netgear x10 and GT-AC5300 I get pings around 34-36 with ping optimization software. With the netduma and ping software I get 31 ping and next to no jitter.

I wonder how that thing would do for gaming lol. With my Netgear x10 and GT-AC5300 I get pings around 34-36 with ping optimization software. With the netduma and ping software I get 31 ping and next to no jitter.

That's ok... here's mine... pinging www.google.com...

Nice to have a quantified network - it's like VTEC-yo....

Screen Shot 2017-06-03 at 7.27.12 PM.png

And are you using your router for business or personal because it seems like it's marketed towards professionals.

Again - pfSense 2.3.4 on a broadband cable connection - SB6183 on the cable side...

The SG-2440 is in the middle, but more than enough for a 150/10 connection obviously...

There's a managed switch in the middle, as pfSense on the SG-2440 is just a GW, so there is a tad bit of latency there... but something I can deal with - Netgear GS-108T there...

The report/screen shot is behind the GS-108T...