What's new

RT-AC3200 Wireless Gigabit Router - Shuts down everytime I shutdown my PC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Christian Viau

New Around Here
Good day everyone,

I am experiencing an inconvenient situation with my RT-AC3200 gigabit router.

The router itself works very well and I am very happy with its performance, however there is a very annoying issue with the way the router behaves that is causing a lot of frustration within my household.

As long as my home PC is on and active everything is fine. But, as soon as I shut down my computer the router shuts down as well.

This prevents anyone else using a wireless connection from being able to connect with the router.

IS there a way to configure the router to remain on/active all the time?

I am using firmware version 3.0.0.4.378_4980

Thank you for your help.

:(

Are you sure it really shutsdown? Lights go off?

The normal router behaviour is being always ON, theres no such option.

Last edited:
Have you recently upgraded your firmware, or do you have a USB drive / device attached to your router?

EDIT: is your computer wired, or wireless connected to the router?

MY home PC is wired to the router.

I have never seen this behavior on a router before. I purchased the router earlier this week and immediately updated the firmware to the version mentioned above in my original post. I usually keep my computer on all the time but sometimes I want to reboot into another operating system or shut down for periods when I am not at home for some time.

I recently noticed (through complaining from my household) that "there was no internet" every time I shut down my PC. Only by turning on or rebooting my PC would the router "wake up".

Very odd indeed.

No USB connection device connected to the router? Printer? HDD?
What happens if you unplug your ethernet cable from your PC first? then power off your PC?

EDIT: What does your router plug into? Do the router and PC share a power bar, or some other power source?

Last edited:
"No USB connection device connected to the router? Printer? HDD?"

No USB devices connected, whatsoever.

"What happens if you unplug your Ethernet cable from your PC first? then power off your PC?

Unplugging the Ethernet cable from my PC first leads to my router cutting off all internet access to everyone. The led lights still flash for the wireless side of things but no one can connect any longer.

"What does your router plug into? Do the router and PC share a power bar, or some other power source?"

Both my computer and router are plugged into the same power bar, which.....

oh my gosh....a moment of eureka!

Thanks you for posting your question as such. I just realized that I have one of those "smart" power bars, my PC is connected to the so called "master" plug and my router is connected to another line of plugs which automatically turn themselves off (no power) when the computer enters either sleep/hibernate or is shutdown.

I think this just solved my problem. Thank you.

o_O (Homer Simpson moment of "DOH!")

"No USB connection device connected to the router? Printer? HDD?"

No USB devices connected, whatsoever.

"What happens if you unplug your Ethernet cable from your PC first? then power off your PC?

Unplugging the Ethernet cable from my PC first leads to my router cutting off all internet access to everyone. The led lights still flash for the wireless side of things but no one can connect any longer.

"What does your router plug into? Do the router and PC share a power bar, or some other power source?"

Both my computer and router are plugged into the same power bar, which.....

oh my gosh....a moment of eureka!

Thanks you for posting your question as such. I just realized that I have one of those "smart" power bars, my PC is connected to the so called "master" plug and my router is connected to another line of plugs which automatically turn themselves off (no power) when the computer enters either sleep/hibernate or is shutdown.

I think this just solved my problem. Thank you.

o_O (Homer Simpson moment of "DOH!")

Hey, it happens. Happy to help out..