What's new

RT-AC66U reboots automatically

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kopo942

New Around Here
So, I've been having this weird bug lately with my AC-66U. The router decides to reboot itself randomly between 12 to 24 hours. I've noticed a lot of people have had the problem in the past, but I can't find a real solution anywhere. Maybe Mr. Merlin has got some more knowledge about this? I'm on 380.59.

Firmware is Merlin 380.59. Reset was done, router was configured manually although adding some port forwards.

My PC as the only device on 5GHz, 2 to 4 devices on 2,4GHz. Connection speed is 100down/10up. Fibre.
I do casual gaming and Twitch streaming. Other devices are very light on usage, basic browsing and maybe a few videos per day.

Might overheating be the issue here? The router is mounted on a wall, not on a table with its' original stand.

Atm, the temps are 2.4 GHz: 52°C - 5 GHz:60°C

The radio temps are not an issue, but the processor temps may be (too bad we can't see them via the gui).

Simple enough to get a small USB powered fan and see if the extra cooling helps (it certainly won't hurt it).

So.. I've been trying to fix this problem for a year now (still under warranty). I tried adding extra cooling, factory resetting, updating the firmware etc etc with no good results. The router just randomly reboots every day. Here's a system log from today: https://pastebin.com/uQUcUZ6x. Has anyone else had this problem?

So.. I've been trying to fix this problem for a year now (still under warranty). I tried adding extra cooling, factory resetting, updating the firmware etc etc with no good results. The router just randomly reboots every day. Here's a system log from today: https://pastebin.com/uQUcUZ6x. Has anyone else had this problem?
There's nothing in your syslog other than the normal startup messages. You've done everything you can with the firmware and with cooling the router. The only thing left to try that I can think of is to replace the power adapter. Some people with routers like yours have reported better stability after they replaced the power adapter.

There's nothing in your syslog other than the normal startup messages. You've done everything you can with the firmware and with cooling the router. The only thing left to try that I can think of is to replace the power adapter. Some people with routers like yours have reported better stability after they replaced the power adapter.
Welp.. might as well RMA it then. Can't think of a place where I could find a high-quality power adapter for now..