What's new

RT-AC68P OpenVPN with Samsung SmartHub TV - Connection Issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NaperJP

New Around Here
I setup the OpenVPN connection to my Samsung TV and it works great....when it works. It seems that if I don't use it for a day or so I lose the connection. When I login to the UI the VPN shows connected and active, but for whatever reason I appear to be losing the connection with the TV. From what I can tell I am losing the entire connection. After a router reboot the connection reestablishes, but I'd like to figure out why this might be happening.

I have the RT-AC68P running the most recent Merlin firmware. The router is hardwired to a 5 port switch behind the TV, and the TV is also hardwired to the switch. My guess is that I can resolve this by scheduling a router reboot every night, but that won't tell me why it is happening. If I do schedule a nightly reboot, is there a way to turn back on the OpenVPN client each time after the reboot without having to do it manually? As it is now, after reboots the OpenVPN client is Off.

Thanks in advance.
John

I actually just updated the firmware on the TV a couple days ago, but have been having the issues for about a week.

I just realized I can set the OpenVPN client to start with WAN. This is great, but it appears that activating the OpenVPN client is killing WiFi connections with Android devices. Still have a strong WiFi signal, but nothing gets through. This despite having a rule that only sends my TV through the VPN...

Not sure what's going on...

I'm on Merlin firmware 380.58.

Thanks.

Last edited: