What's new

RT-AC68R 2.4GHZ headache

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

johnsutter71

Occasional Visitor
I've about had it with this router and I'm not sure what to try next. I've tried the latest Merlin firmware and now back to Asus's with the exact same issues. My 2.4 ghz is dropping is losing connection with all the attached devices on a daily basis and when I do manage to reconnect usually only stays connected for short periods. I have never had any of these issues with my Linksys E2400. I have tried changing channels and gone back and fourth with Reducing USB 3.0 interference setting and even disconnected the attached drive. I've tried static IP addresses and I have WPS switched off. I would greatly appreciate any support. Nothing seems to be working.
Thanks.

Thanks

Thank you. I went through the thread looking for a solution and have tried that build. I'm all about second chances so I just reloaded it a second time. I'll update my results.

This problem doesn't seem to want to resolve itself period. I'ts gotten so bad that I have disabled the 2.4ghz radio and attached a DAP1650 as an access point just so I can have a 2.4 access for the majority of my wireless subscribers. I have no idea why I can't get this router to work properly using both frequencies. This whole thing sucks because I can see the obvious speed drain after attaching the access point. I'm using firmware 374.43_2-03j9527
If anyone knows how I can get this router to work correctly I'm all ears.
Thank you.

Have you done anything to increase power output? Early on in the rollout of my build, one person was experiencing drops about every 15 min....turns out that he had increased the power settings (units were in the same room), and when he returned to defaults the drops stopped.

Also try/verify these settings on the Professional tab....

Roaming assistant - disable
Enable WMM APSD - disable
Optimize AMPDU aggregation - disable
Both Beamforming options - try the opposite of what is set.

Last edited:
Thanks for responding John. I've been going back and fourth between the settings and have both beamforming options presently enabled. One area that seemed the make somewhat of a difference was setting the preamble back and fourth between long and short. At the present time both are enabled for 5 and 2,4ghz range. The one setting that I did have disabled was IGMP snooping and after I enabled it was able to actually maintain connection for the first time. I thought that setting would degrade performance but so far so good. I've attached a screen copy of the settings.
Thank you

Attachments

• ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC68R - Professional.pdf
    167 KB · Views: 438
  • ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC68R.pdf
    171.4 KB · Views: 455
Well after thinking I may have solved my issues all my 2.4ghz connections began dropping so after another 2 hours of trying different settings on that channel I finally replaced the router with my old Linksys S4200. I think I'm done with Asus routers. I think I'm gonna try the Linksys WRT1900AC next.

Correction

Instead of buying the linksys ended up purchasing the NETGEAR AC3200 on Amazon...Will arrive tomorrow. Guess will see if that fixes my issues.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!