What's new

RT-AC68R WIFI Power Levels

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zoulas

Occasional Visitor
Hello, question for you, the default power level on this router is maximum (100%). My understanding with RF power (Radio Frequency) is that you should use the lowest power possible to get the job done. Why would Asus use 100% as default? I am thinking that the technology may throttle (reduce) the power when needed ? Not real sure. Anyone know exactly how this is supposed to work or should the end users continue to follow the standard protocol of reducing the power level to the minimum needed. Running the latest firmware BTW.

Thanks

Hello, question for you, the default power level on this router is maximum (100%). My understanding with RF power (Radio Frequency) is that you should use the lowest power possible to get the job done. Why would Asus use 100% as default? I am thinking that the technology may throttle (reduce) the power when needed ? Not real sure. Anyone know exactly how this is supposed to work or should the end users continue to follow the standard protocol of reducing the power level to the minimum needed. Running the latest firmware BTW.

Thanks

The newer firmwares cap all routers at 80mw (100%=80mw) really know reason to lower any further 80mw is actually low enough.

"least power to get the job done" ... is too simple with today's data radios, where the data rate improves as signal strength / SNA improves.

Weaker signal, lower speed.

Plus, with OFDM as in today's radios, the hardware/firmware reduces the power as the data rate increases in order to not "overdrive" the transmitting amplifier inside the product. Most WiFi in 11g/n is at about 30mW at common data rates and 80+ mW only at really low speeds, some speeds where OFDM is disabled due to weak signals can step up to 100mW or so, but at 1-10Mbps frame rate.

Trading speed for range.

A transmitting amplifier that can run fast OFDM at 100mW costs too much in this competitive market. Lots of misrepresentations in marketing. Few admit that highest power comes at lowest modulation modes.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online