What's new

BACKUPMON BACKUPMON v1.8.20 -Oct 12, 2024- Backup/Restore your Router: JFFS + NVRAM + External USB Drive! CIFS/SMB/NFS! (Now available in AMTM!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This is kind of trivial, but when reinstalling everything from scratch on my ax88uPro, I noticed that the CLI prompts are inconsistent, sometimes "0/1", sometimes "y/n" and sometimes "0=No, 1=Yes".

Code:
 Would you like BACKUPMON to send you email notifications on backup success or failure,
  or both? Please note: This does require that AMTM email has been set up successfully
  under AMTM -> em (email settings). Once you are able to send and receive test emails,
  you may utilize this functionality in BACKUPMON. Additionally, this functionality will
  download an AMTM email interface library courtesy of @Martinski, and will be located
  under a new common library folder called: /jffs/addons/shared-libs.

(No=0, Yes=1) (Default = 0)
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Email Notification Option: No

Enable BACKUPMON Email Notifications (0/1)?: 1

Email on Successful Backups? (No=0, Yes=1): 1

Email on Backup Failures? (No=0, Yes=1): 1

Installing Shared Email Library Components...

Installing the shared library script file to support email notifications...

404: Not Found
**ERROR**: Unable to download the library script [CustomEMailFunctions.lib.sh]
Trying again with a different URL...

The email library script file [CustomEMailFunctions.lib.sh] was installed.

Would you like to send a TEST email from BACKUPMON?
[y/n]? y

This is kind of trivial, but when reinstalling everything from scratch on my ax88uPro, I noticed that the CLI prompts are inconsistent, sometimes "0/1", sometimes "y/n" and sometimes "0=No, 1=Yes".

Code:
 Would you like BACKUPMON to send you email notifications on backup success or failure,
  or both? Please note: This does require that AMTM email has been set up successfully
  under AMTM -> em (email settings). Once you are able to send and receive test emails,
  you may utilize this functionality in BACKUPMON. Additionally, this functionality will
  download an AMTM email interface library courtesy of @Martinski, and will be located

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[y/n]? y
Yeah, picked that up a wee while back but seemed churlish given the amazing Addons :).
There is a method to the madness on occasion though, apparently.

If you have a number of Addons, some use y/n and some 0/1 so that's a bit confusing sometimes too, but I don't think @thelonelycoder is going to start mandate a style :)

Code:

[y/n]? y
Usually the ones that ask for 0/1 are options that get saved in the config... The y/n's are transient. Hey it keeps you on your toes right! Make sure you're not drunk restoring! 😋

Last night, as a result of numerous brownouts in my region, my JFFS was wiped clean. This morning, once the power issues subsided, I used BACKUPMON to restore my router and it worked like a charm. Thank you, @Viktor Jaep!

Last night, as a result of numerous brownouts in my region, my JFFS was wiped clean. This morning, once the power issues subsided, I used BACKUPMON to restore my router and it worked like a charm. Thank you, @Viktor Jaep!
Wow, that's scary!! Glad everything turned out OK. Might want to ask Santa for a nice little UPS to prevent that in the future! ;)

Wow, that's scary!! Glad everything turned out OK. Might want to ask Santa for a nice little UPS to prevent that in the future! ;)
I don't know if you remember, but I live in Airbnbs and travel around the world. Those are too heavy for my lifestyle.

Only one place had a UPS, I loved it. That was two years ago.

P.S.
I saw another post about these "errors" and that they mean nothing. Is there a way to prevent them from logging so it is easier to read the error log?
1722345359003.png

I don't know if you remember, but I live in Airbnbs and travel around the world. Those are too heavy for my lifestyle.

Only one place had a UPS, I loved it. That was two years ago.

P.S.
I saw another post about these "errors" and that they mean nothing. Is there a way to prevent them from logging so it is easier to read the error log?
View attachment 60636
Yep, I remember now! ;) Filtering out these messages is on my to-do list. Coming soon(ish)!

I want to thank both @Viktor Jaep and @ExtremeFiretop. After working through customized scripts with @ExtremeFiretop for my GT-AXE16000 to enable 6 GHz WiFi for clients, I realized that I needed to maintain backups for that node as well since it was no longer a "generic" AiMesh node. I installed BACKUPMON and configured with NAS share as destination — easy peasy! And I added MerlinAU as well. The beauty of both of these tools is they are completely flexible as to configuration and capabilities.

I want to thank both @Viktor Jaep and @ExtremeFiretop. After working through customized scripts with @ExtremeFiretop for my GT-AXE16000 to enable 6 GHz WiFi for clients, I realized that I needed to maintain backups for that node as well since it was no longer a "generic" AiMesh node. I installed BACKUPMON and configured with NAS share as destination — easy peasy! And I added MerlinAU as well. The beauty of both of these tools is they are completely flexible as to configuration and capabilities.
Really glad the combo of the 2 tools are working out for you, @visortgw! :)

Hello, thanks for such a handy script

I'm facing issue with SMB share that contains blank spaces in its name was unable to get mounted:
Bash:
Test Target UNC Path  : \\\\192.168.1.33\\NAS Dmitry Test
Bash:
WARNING: Unable to mount to external network drive. Retrying...

The problem exactly and only in blank spaces, all other shares from same NAS in same network get mounted and perform backup just fine.
Also, i can successfully mount this problematic share with default mount command:
Bash:
mount -t cifs "\\\\192.168.1.33\\NAS Dmitry Test" /tmp/mnt/SHARE -o "username=XXX,password=XXX" -o vers=2.0

I tried to wrote target path differently:
Bash:
\\\\192.168.1.33\\NAS Dmitry Test

\\\\192.168.1.33\\NAS Dmitry Test\\

"\\\\192.168.1.33\\NAS Dmitry Test"

\\\\192.168.1.33\\NAS\040Dmitry\040Test

Unfortunately none of this worked.
I know that using spaces in share names consider a bad practices, but this particular share was created a long time ago, and renaming it will take a much hassle.

Can i somehow use shares with blank spaces in its names?

Also, maybe it might be good to advice users about blank spaces in BACKUPMON - TARGET Backup UNC Path config section.

Hello, thanks for such a handy script

I'm facing issue with SMB share that contains blank spaces in its name was unable to get mounted:
Bash:
Test Target UNC Path  : \\\\192.168.1.33\\NAS Dmitry Test
Bash:
WARNING: Unable to mount to external network drive. Retrying...

The problem exactly and only in blank spaces, all other shares from same NAS in same network get mounted and perform backup just fine.
Also, i can successfully mount this problematic share with default mount command:
Bash:
mount -t cifs "\\\\192.168.1.33\\NAS Dmitry Test" /tmp/mnt/SHARE -o "username=XXX,password=XXX" -o vers=2.0

I tried to wrote target path differently:
Bash:
\\\\192.168.1.33\\NAS Dmitry Test

\\\\192.168.1.33\\NAS Dmitry Test\\

"\\\\192.168.1.33\\NAS Dmitry Test"

I know that using spaces in share names consider a bad practices, but this particular share was created a long time ago, and renaming it will take a much hassle.

Can i somehow use shares with blank spaces in its names?

Also, maybe it might be good to advice users about blank spaces in BACKUPMON - TARGET Backup UNC Path config section.
This issue came up early in the development process. I'm sure there will be a warning somewhere - probably needs repeating and emphasising. As a Linux user I habitually don't have spaces in directory/root/file names.

Last edited:
This issue came up early in the development process. I'm sure there will be a warning somewhere - probably needs repeating and emphasising. As a Linux user I habitually don't have spaces in directory/root/file names.

So if i got it right, there is no way to bypass this limitation.
Ok, will choose another SMB share.

So if i got it right, there is no way to bypass this limitation.
Ok, will choose another SMB share.
When I try using a network path with a space, it eliminates the space. I would go with your option 2. Spaces are bad all around. Never use spaces. ;)

This would have probably worked if you used:

\\\\192.168.1.33\\NAS\\040Dmitry\\040Test

Hi there! I will be moving from a GT-AX11000 to a GT-BE98 Pro. I understand that I would not be able to restore since it is different HW. Just trying to prep and minimize as much manual configuration as possible.

If I simply connect the usb drive to the new router, do i have reformat it blowing away AMTM and all the programs installed like backupmon, vpnmon, etc?

Is there anything that I can restore from backupmon like dhcp mappings, scripts that would save me from creating them from scratch (dhcp mappings) or copying over the scripts again?

Just trying to prep and minimize as much manual configuration as possible.

Is there anything that I can restore from backupmon like dhcp mappings, scripts that would save me from creating them from scratch (dhcp mappings) or copying over the scripts again?

Someone can please correct me if I'm wrong here, as it's been a while since I've used BACKUPMON for a restore myself and stuff is always changing.

But last I checked BACKUPMON doesn't allow you to only partially restore some parts/components of the nvram settings such as DHCP.

You can manually open the backup and find the old settings in nvram, but at that point it's probably faster to just take some screenshots of your current setup and reconfig from scratch following closely to match.

Someone can please correct me if I'm wrong here, as it's been a while since I've used BACKUPMON for a restore myself and stuff is always changing.

But last I checked BACKUPMON doesn't allow you to only partially restore some parts/components of the nvram settings such as DHCP.

You can manually open the backup and find the old settings in nvram, but at that point it's probably faster to just take some screenshots of your current setup and reconfig from scratch following closely to match.
Correct! It will also throw up a huge warning when trying to restore from one model to another. 😉

This would have probably worked if you used:

\\\\192.168.1.33\\NAS\\040Dmitry\\040Test

This one also nope, by the way i can use this notation slightly different in fstab it it works:

Bash:
//192.168.1.33/NAS\040Dmitry\040Test

BACKUPMON saves the day!

A scribe update hosed my the syslog-ng.conf on the 10th, in trying to fix it last night. I reinstalled it, which over wrote the syslog-ng.d and logrotate.d directories back to default. Which fixed scribe, as it rebuilt syslog-ng.conf (now working post 4.7), but it also got rid of my custom filters.

No big deal I thought, I have a back up the config via scribe, but over a year ago unfortunately!

Feeling exhausted after my first day of PT, trying to remember what was in them to rereate them. As my brain finally kicked in and realized I have daily backup!
Opened up the .tar file from the 9th, drilled down to the syslog-ng.d and logrotate.d directories, and there the files were. Extracted the two files, went to sleep, knowing the hard part was over.

This morning, put the files in the appropriate directories on the router, restarted scribe.
Everything working again!

Another BACKUPMON success!

Thanks @Viktor Jaep