What's new

[RT-AC68U] A dose of Quicksilver

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi Merlin, I notice this beta also can't set WEP encrption to either 64 or 128 bit with Authentication Method set to "Open System", and I notice this is the bug from 217 build.

Open means no encryption at all. It's either Open, WEP, WPA or WPA2.

The 205 firmware has pretty good wifi performance. It was best for me in terms of stability. I was pushing over 20MB/s on both bands with it. The RMerlin test build seems to have worse performance (probably uses the wifi drivers from a different build) and sometimes has brief disconnects on one of my machines.

I'm using the same driver as in 205 for the AC56/AC68.

Code:
root@ubuntu-dev:~# md5sum asuswrt.374-205-68/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/wl/linux/wl.ko
c3e4a49eba5e2b2febff86210f8e1e2a  asuswrt.374-205-68/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/wl/linux/wl.ko
root@ubuntu-dev:~# md5sum asuswrt/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/wl/linux/wl.ko
c3e4a49eba5e2b2febff86210f8e1e2a  asuswrt/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/wl/linux/wl.ko

Last edited:
Open means no encryption at all. It's either Open, WEP, WPA or WPA2.

I am not able to set WEP encryption with 217 and beta, but I can set WEP encryption with initial FW and 205 FW. when I set to "open", I can choose 64bit or 128bit WEP encryption.

please check my attached pic

Attachments

• 11111.jpg
    11111.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 499
Last edited:
I'm using the same driver as in 205 for the AC56/AC68.

Code:
root@ubuntu-dev:~# md5sum asuswrt.374-205-68/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/wl/linux/wl.ko
c3e4a49eba5e2b2febff86210f8e1e2a  asuswrt.374-205-68/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/wl/linux/wl.ko
root@ubuntu-dev:~# md5sum asuswrt/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/wl/linux/wl.ko
c3e4a49eba5e2b2febff86210f8e1e2a  asuswrt/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/wl/linux/wl.ko

That is weird. My wifi was a lot more stable on 205. Maybe I have to do a factory reset and test again.

I don't want usb 3, which wireless setting does which and does it actually completely disable usb 3?

What the Interference option does is force the USB3 port to mount devices as USB2, however this is broken in the current firmware - USB3 devices tend to not mount at all with this option enabled.

If you plug a regular USB2 device, it should still mount as a USB2 device regardless of this option.

So I decided to install this build to see if it could fix my VPN issues, but nothings changed. I figured that since I was planning to reset to factory defaults, I may as well upgrade to Merlins build at the same time.

Anyhow, my speeds are fine through the 68U without a VPN tunnel and theyre fine through my old WRT54G2 with and without a VPN tunnel.
I should be hitting 15 to 20Mb/s down to these servers in Europe but I can only hit 2 to 3Mb/s through the 68U.
Its gotta be some default setting thats causing this and I cant figure it out.

I'm running Merlins build in Wireless Router operational mode, firewall enabled, UPNP and NAT enabled.
Happens on both ethernet and wireless on the 68U

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
If someone wants to volunteer to compile and maintain all Entware packages on the ARM platform, please contact ryzhov_al :) Otherwise, it's a LOT of work to maintain a whole different CPU platform, so I doubt he'll have time to do both MIPS and ARM.

I uploaded an updated build (alpha4), which contains a bunch of fixes for minidlna, and also re-enables Asuss' thumbnail code. Could those of you with a large library (like JGrana) give this build a try please?

Note that building the library will take much longer - this is normal. I'm mostly interesting in hearing if it's now able to successfully complete the scan.

There was no other change versus beta1, so no need to upgrade if you aren't using the Media server.

I still can not setup WEP encryption with Guest Network and regular 2.4G and 5G wireless(non-guest).

Last edited:
I uploaded an updated build (alpha4), which contains a bunch of fixes for minidlna, and also re-enables Asuss' thumbnail code. Could those of you with a large library (like JGrana) give this build a try please?

Note that building the library will take much longer - this is normal. I'm mostly interesting in hearing if it's now able to successfully complete the scan.

There was no other change versus beta1, so no need to upgrade if you aren't using the Media server.

I am just leaving to go out of town a few days... but I tried this build early this morning. After a period of time scanning the router went unresponsive. I needed to power cycle...

I can do more testing Wed...

Sorry.

hi all,
about QoS
i have problem with the rule set , with merlin build 374.34 only upload was effected by the rule i set ,
same with the latest ac68u firmware i got from ASUS 3.0.0.4_374_262

this is usually how i set the rule in ac66u it does follow the priority that i set (download and upload) , but in ac68u only upload was effected
qos.png

can anyone else confirm AC68u have this QoS problem? or it just me that have this problem..

AC-68U
374.74 beta1

With HW Acceleration on, the NAT loopback AND port forwarding is wonky.

I really can't get a handle on what is wrong with NAT loopback.

I have security cams, NAS and other devices that I connect to via subdomain URL's.

camera1.mydomain.com
camera2.mydomain.com
nas1.mydomain.com
etc etc

With HW Accel. on, no port forwarding works externally, as in I cannot reach those devices.. My devices inside the network cannot reach those devices via their URL, only using the LAN IP addresses.

With HW Accel. on, port forwarding works externally. SOME devices, when on the LAN, can access those devices via their URL. I can access all the URL's from outside the network with HW Accel. on.

Very strange...

Last edited:
AC-68U
374.74 beta1

With HW Acceleration on, the NAT loopback AND port forwarding is wonky.

I really can't get a handle on what is wrong with NAT loopback.

I have security cams, NAS and other devices that I connect to via subdomain URL's.

camera1.mydomain.com
camera2.mydomain.com
nas1.mydomain.com
etc etc

With HW Accel. on, no port forwarding works externally, as in I cannot reach those devices.. My devices inside the network cannot reach those devices via their URL, only using the LAN IP addresses.

With HW Accel. on, port forwarding works externally. SOME devices, when on the LAN, can access those devices via their URL. I can access all the URL's from outside the network with HW Accel. on.

Very strange...

With HW acceleration off, all port forwarding (external and internal) works fine for me. With HW acceleration on, the internal port forwarding stops working so I keep it off for the time being.