What's new

RT-AC68U replacement. (I have checked the posts)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

theno2soco

New Around Here
I don't game, I have 1 desktop computer, 2 laptops, 2 mobile phones a Smart TV and a NAS used mainly for backups and streaming media to the TV.

I want the desktop computer, 1 mobile phone and the TV on 5 GHz. The remainder will be on 2.4 GHz.

When I have to replace the router near the end of 2024, I want an ASUS one to use with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware and to last at least 4 years or as close as possible to that.

I am confused about the separate 2.4/WAN port, the Gaming port, the routers with 4 ports and those with 8 ports. Some say 5 GHz, some say Gaming port and don't mention 5 GHz. I don't know which would suit my use which I think is basic.

Should I replace it now or as late as possible (New ones coming out) ?

Who says you *have* to replace it? Esp. if you have only modest needs. Yeah, Merlin will become increasingly problematic, but not right away. And even so, there are alternatives (potentially better ones in fact depending on your needs, e.g., native support for VLANs).

I use all available third-party firmwares at times, but different ones for different situations. I use FreshTomato for my primary router because I *need* VLANs to support both guest and IOT on their own IP networks. But I often recommend AsusWRT-Merlin to my customers who do NOT have such needs. I'll use DD-WRT when I need x86 or Wireguard support. Just depends. That's the great thing about that particular router. It's incredibly flexible.

Last edited:
@eibgrad makes a good point- you may find better solutions for you if you poke around and get some learning about networking and wireless into you, if you have an interest in building out a custom network for yourself/your home. If an "all-in-one" unit has been working for you and you don't see your needs changing in the next 3-5y, upgrade your asus when scheduled

I've just upgraded to the AX88Pro, and wow! Massive improvement over my AC86
I have yet to put the latest Merlin on it to take advantage of the privacy etc scripts though, but based on the past 20m of having my network back up on it, I should've done this some time ago.

Should I replace it now or as late as possible

If money is no issue - replace it now. RT-AX86U Pro and RT-AX88U Pro are popular choice around and will probably have 4 years of support.

Last edited:
Thank you all for you valuable input. I am 86 in early October 2024 and am going to China for a month in April 2025. I will stay with relatives.

Your input has suggested to me that I wait until April next year before deciding which unit to acquire. By that time and if Chinese ones could be used in the UK (I will have advice in China), I may, if the cost is justifiable, be able to obtain either the RT-BE58U or RT-BE88U, both of which have support to 2028.

If China proves not to be workable then the RT-AX86U Pro and RT-AX88U Pro would be an alternative with the hope that extended support may be provided after 2026.

I am familiar with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware and would prefer, at my stage in life, to stick with it. This may affect the two Chinese possibilities as I have not checked with Asuswrt-Merlin yet.

@eibgrad I have experience many years ago with Tomato Tomato firmware but prefer my recent firmware experiences.

@Tech9 I hope you are right if I do end up going for one of those two which now have support to December 2026.

I have just finished building a NAS and will use UnRAID on it. This is my first NAS so I have quite a lot to learn in the next few months. We intend to holiday abroad two or three times before we go to China so I will not be able to follow the suggestion of @eibgrad.

I notice that nobody mentioned the "2.4/WAN port, the Gaming port, the routers with 4 ports and those with 8 ports"

I currently use 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz 'my way'. Will the four possible routers mean changes to the way I use my current router?

I will understand if members prefer to let me research that, but once again, thank you all for your input which has solved my main question. ;)

You will likely have to obtain the wireless routers in the UK so that they comply with the wireless regulations ( channels and RF power) unless you can get the specific version/model intended for UK distribution while in China.

The power adapter is likely different as well. If only plug type, that is easy. The AC to DC converter may be universal 50/60 Hz and 120/240 V.

You will likely have to obtain the wireless routers in the UK so that they comply with the wireless regulations ( channels and RF power) unless you can get the specific version/model intended for UK distribution while in China.

The power adapter is likely different as well. If only plug type, that is easy. The AC to DC converter may be universal 50/60 Hz and 120/240 V.
Yes it must comply in all ways. I am lucky that I have contacts in the family who ship to the UK. That will be my first enquiry. I have experience of China copies and how difficult they can be to spot even when you can speak the language. However, it is a possibility that I can 'arrange' a shipment destined for the UK as I understand that may well be where they are manufactured.

Last edited:
which now have support to December 2026

The link above is not end of support date. It's the minimum required support period in the UK.

Asus have to comply to specific requirements in the UK - they published a document confirming the compliance.

Thank you all for you valuable input. I am 86 in early October 2024 and am going to China for a month in April 2025. I will stay with relatives.

Your input has suggested to me that I wait until April next year before deciding which unit to acquire. By that time and if Chinese ones could be used in the UK (I will have advice in China), I may, if the cost is justifiable, be able to obtain either the RT-BE58U or RT-BE88U, both of which have support to 2028.

If China proves not to be workable then the RT-AX86U Pro and RT-AX88U Pro would be an alternative with the hope that extended support may be provided after 2026.

I am familiar with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware and would prefer, at my stage in life, to stick with it. This may affect the two Chinese possibilities as I have not checked with Asuswrt-Merlin yet.

@eibgrad I have experience many years ago with Tomato Tomato firmware but prefer my recent firmware experiences.

@Tech9 I hope you are right if I do end up going for one of those two which now have support to December 2026.

I have just finished building a NAS and will use UnRAID on it. This is my first NAS so I have quite a lot to learn in the next few months. We intend to holiday abroad two or three times before we go to China so I will not be able to follow the suggestion of @eibgrad.

I notice that nobody mentioned the "2.4/WAN port, the Gaming port, the routers with 4 ports and those with 8 ports"

I currently use 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz 'my way'. Will the four possible routers mean changes to the way I use my current router?

I will understand if members prefer to let me research that, but once again, thank you all for your input which has solved my main question. ;)

I love that you're making longer term plans at your age, and still learning as you go! Live long and Prosper!!!

I have noticed today that Merlin do not support either the RT-BE58U or RT-BE88U.

If I win the lottery this week I may be able to buy the GT-BE98_PRO as money may be of no concern ;)

I have noticed today that Merlin do not support either the RT-BE58U or RT-BE88U.

If I win the lottery this week I may be able to buy the GT-BE98_PRO as money may be of no concern ;)
The only way to get really long term support + stay with asus + be reasonably priced today is with the filogic 830 models and flashing openwrt. They run linux kernel 6.1 or 6.6 (so far) which gets you to Dec 2026. Once the next LTS kernel is released, support will be good through 2028/2030.

The only way to get really long term support + stay with asus + be reasonably priced today is with the filogic 830 models and flashing openwrt. They run linux kernel 6.1 or 6.6 (so far) which gets you to Dec 2026. Once the next LTS kernel is released, support will be good through 2028/2030.
RT-AX59U and TUF AX4200

Asus RT-AX59U: VPN support with OpenVPN and WireGuard

Small footprint and wall mounting option

Amazon: £112.98 today

Thank you @tiddlywink, that will see me out I think.

Just get an RT-AX86U Pro and call it a day.

You don't need custom firmware on it, stock Asuswrt 5.0 has more than enough options.

RT-AX59U and TUF AX4200

Asus RT-AX59U: VPN support with OpenVPN and WireGuard
And TUF-AX6000 as well. I never used the default asus firmware nor do I use VPN's so I can't comment on them. I would suggest picking the ax4200/ax6000 over the ax59u as there is better recovery support. You may want to checkout openwrt first (watch youtube videos) so you know what you are getting into. Everything can be done via GUI but it is definitely more advanced and can be overwhelming.

e.g. setting up a dump AP via the GUI LuCi

If you can't understand the above guide, openwrt is not for you. Buy the RT-BE58U or RT-BE88U once they are released.

And TUF-AX6000 as well. I never used the default asus firmware nor do I use VPN's so I can't comment on them. I would suggest picking the ax4200/ax6000 over the ax59u as there is better recovery support. You may want to checkout openwrt first (watch youtube videos) so you know what you are getting into. Everything can be done via GUI but it is definitely more advanced and can be overwhelming.

e.g. setting up a dump AP via the GUI LuCi

If you can't understand the above guide, openwrt is not for you. Buy the RT-BE58U or RT-BE88U once they are released.
I have never used default ASUS firmware either.

I checked the settings method for the routers suggested in the thread and found the ASUS firmware east to follow for setting up a VPN and thats all I need really. I would expect Merlin would be identical?

BTW RT-BE88U is available now but I cannot justify the cost and don't like the footprint.

I have never used default ASUS firmware either.

I checked the settings method for the routers suggested in the thread and found the ASUS firmware east to follow for setting up a VPN and thats all I need really. I would expect Merlin would be identical?

BTW RT-BE88U is available now but I cannot justify the cost and don't like the footprint.
Mediatek filogic units = no merlin support ever.

You want Merlin, than means only broadcom units.

BTW RT-BE88U is available now but I cannot justify the cost

For your 6 clients what you already have is more than enough and you can continue using it as mentioned in post #2 of this thread. If you really want to upgrade because you missed few generations of hardware the model mentioned in post #16 is currently £165 on Amazon UK. It is popular, it supports Asuswrt 5.0 and is Asuswrt-Merlin supported (currently on Asuswrt 4.0 base). I'm out, good luck.