What's new

RT-AC68U reporting 1 ghz CPU

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Where did you purchase your routers? Can you request the seller to send you rev C1? Why is Asus manufacturing A2 version still?

It was from Staples.ca, I checked local store and they only have an A2 left,
and the C1 I already picked up was only 800Mhz ... I'm screwed :)

Do you know the story of Willy Wonka and the 5 golden tickets in the chocolate bar wrapper?
Those who found a 1 GHz CPU in their C.1 model RT-AC68U may be invited soon to visit the Asus router factory :D

Who knows, anyone know if Amazon.ca sells B1/B2 ? :)

By the way, the T-Mobile AC68U is $60 USD right now ...

By the way, the T-Mobile AC68U is $60 USD right now ...
I am not sure if T-Mobile AC68U has Trend Micro engine in it. Do you need AiProtection, Traffic Monitor or Adaptive QoS? If you do, you've better check that before buying. But the price is very cheap, is there some limitations?
It was from Staples.ca, I checked local store and they only have an A2 left,
and the C1 I already picked up was only 800Mhz ... I'm screwed :)
If I'm not mistaken, AC1900 and AC1900P are coming out. You might be able to return the current router and wait for either of those models?

It looks like T-mobile can be converted to a real Asus,
by changing the bootloader plus loading official firmware,
the only issue is needing a US credit card to order one :)
And of course it's still a regular 800Mhz unit.

As far as I know the AC1900 is just a regular AC68U, no?
and the AC1900P is the 1.4Ghz version,- bestbuy carries it.

To add more on this pile:
Found this post regarding the RT-AC68U rev.E1:
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac68u-rev-e1-merlin.35678/

And regarding CTF and FA: my RT-AC68U rev.A2 (manufactured in 2016) with stock firmware 4118 shows this:
upload_2016-11-16_9-3-57.png

Either the yellow status message is wrong or FA is really enabled.
How can I further check if it is really enabled?

As far as I know the AC1900 is just a regular AC68U, no?
and the AC1900P is the 1.4Ghz version,- bestbuy carries it.
I thought AC1900 is C1 revision of AC68U, but now I'm not sure as I can't find any info about it. If you really want fast CPU, AC1900P seems very good. Its CPU is as good as AC88U at much lower price, yet not far from AC68U, is it?

I am trying to compile an overview, sofar as follows (I know some models are still missing, like to W model):

upload_2016-11-16_14-44-40.png

In short:
  • There 3 CPU types (800 MHz, 1 GHz and 1.4 GHz).
  • There are 2 types of radio chips, the one with its own CPU shall have a better performance.
  • For the older radios, there are two amplifier versions, not sure if there is a performance difference.
  • The R types are Reseller only, some other models are BestBuy only.

Shoot on it, and I will try to update the table :)

[EDIT1] RT-AC1900P CPU and Radio chips types added.
[EDIT2] RT-AC1900 added (no details known yet).

Last edited:
I am trying to compile an overview, sofar as follows (I know some models are still missing, like to W model):

View attachment 7741
  • There 3 CPU types (800 MHz, 1 GHz and 1.4 GHz), the AC1900P CPU type unknown to me.
Interesting, I completely thought that AC1900P CPU would be as same as AC88U. However, it might be some other CPU at the same clock speed. For E1 revision, I asked the one who has it to find out clock frequency; you might be able to fill the table a little more soon.

Hi, I just got a tr-ac68u rev. E1.
How can I help to resolve this out?
I use it as AP and can ssh into it.

RT-AC68U HW C1 is a BCM4709C0.

Hi, I just got a tr-ac68u rev. E1.
How can I help to resolve this out?
I use it as AP and can ssh into it.
Take it apart! (just kidding).
Your other post allready showed it has a 1 GHz CPU.
Another easy checks is to look into the system log and find where it starts the wireless part, that shows the wireless chipsset and driver, for my A2 version like this:
Code:
kernel: eth1: Broadcom BCM4360 802.11 Wireless Controller 6.37.14.126 (r561982)

Take it apart! (just kidding).
Your other post allready showed it has a 1 GHz CPU.
Another easy checks is to look into the system log and find where it starts the wireless part, that shows the wireless chipsset and driver, for my A2 version like this:
Code:
Code:
kernel: eth2: Broadcom BCM4360 802.11 Wireless Controller 6.37.14.126 (r561982)

Code:
kernel: eth2: Broadcom BCM4360 802.11 Wireless Controller 6.37.14.126 (r561982)
I don't know if that makes sure the wireless chips really are BCM4360, maybe they can still be the more advanced BCM43602 and using the same SDK (explaining still all RT-AC68/RT-AC1900 models share the same firmware).
Anyone?

For now I am stuck on below table:

upload_2016-11-16_16-32-8.png

Primary variations:
  1. 3 CPU types.
  2. 3 Clock speeds.
  3. 2 Radio chip types.
And it seems outside the USA and Canada only the A2 hardware version is available (even fresh made in 2016).
I am not sure if it is worth to mention CTF and FA support as well.

Last edited:
I'm still sticking with my theory :) The later revs (at least C1 and E1) are board level revs that allow them to use whatever components are available to simplify mfg. From an ASUS code perspective, it doesn't matter since the latest code supports them all. From a consumer/3rd party developer perspective, it's a headache.

I'm still sticking with my theory :) The later revs (at least C1 and E1) are board level revs that allow them to use whatever components are available to simplify mfg. From an ASUS code perspective, it doesn't matter since the latest code supports them all. From a consumer/3rd party developer perspective, it's a headache.
I agree, and like to add that most consumers shall not bother at all.
The performance difference between all variants will be marginal.
For developpers I am not sure how bad it is, the different chipsets seems to be compatible. Other hardware components will not matter. I am more concerned about component quality (let's stay away from failing-off power switches and wiggling-failing RJ-45 ports).

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online