What's new

RT AC68U setup for faster speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MrDoobz

Occasional Visitor
Ok I'm having an issue. My ISP TWC came and "fixed" my speed issue. Direct Ethernet (cat 5e) connect from modem to computer shows 115 Mbps.

Wireless connect to my iPhone using speed test registers my 5ghz band at 22 Mbps up to 55 Mbps.

My 2.4 ghz registers the same as above.

I suppose to receive 200 Mbps from tIme warner cable.
Clearly there is an issue and was hoping someone had a setup in the ASus UI that would give me speed.

My settings have not been changed and is currently is currently default.

Thank you very much.

Ok I'm having an issue. My ISP TWC came and "fixed" my speed issue. Direct Ethernet (cat 5e) connect from modem to computer shows 115 Mbps.

Wireless connect to my iPhone using speed test registers my 5ghz band at 22 Mbps up to 55 Mbps.

Clearly there is an issue and was hoping someone had a setup in the ASus UI that would give me speed.

Thank you very much.

If the input via the direct Ethernet connection with the modem is only 115 Mbps while you are supposed to receive 200 Mbps, that is an obvious bottleneck you should check first. Either the modem is faulty or ISP provides you with less speed (?). Also check the Ethernet cable and your network card to be sure that the received speed is really 115 Mbps instead of 200 Mbps.
When you have fixed the above, you can return to the router's settings.

Thank you very much.

My ISP rates their speed as 100Mbps but I actually get ca. 135Mbps.

My RT-AC68U and RT-N66U both easily deliver that speed on the 5GHz band, and about 100Mbps on 2.4GHz. Downloading files from a local machine (ISP not involved) is over 200Mbps from the AC68 on 5GHz.

Both are running John's Fork firmware, legal power, and no fancy setup--pretty much John's defaults. Both are affected by distance, of course, with the 5GHz band suffering more. See also this chart which shows how speed (vertical axis) decreases with distance (attenuation, horizontal axis) for four popular models.

Thank you very much.

If you pay for 200Mbps from your ISP, they did not fix anything.

Until that is corrected (and can be proven by directly connecting the modem to your computer and seeing that speed consistently), there is no point in troubleshooting further.

Bring TWC back and get them to fix it fully.

Next, tell us what firmware (specifically) you are using. What firmware upgrades have you done (if any)? Was a reset to factory defaults with manual and minimal configuration done to secure the router and connect to your ISP after flashing different firmware?

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

With the above out of the way (we will now know where your router is at), have you tried using different ssid's? Did you test for different channels to see what gives the best throughput from a wired computer to a plugged in (AC power) laptop?

Do not test with a phone or other handheld device. They are built and designed for long battery power, not for highest performance.

If the input via the direct Ethernet connection with the modem is only 115 Mbps while you are supposed to receive 200 Mbps, that is an obvious bottleneck you should check first. Either the modem is faulty or ISP provides you with less speed (?). Also check the Ethernet cable and your network card to be sure that the received speed is really 115 Mbps instead of 200 Mbps.
When you have fixed the above, you can return to the router's settings.

Just ran a direct ethernet direct from Motorola surfboard 6141 which the manual says can handle 363 speed. Has 8 dwnld channels and 4 upload channels.

NGreet is there a way to check to see if my modem is not putting out what it says. Also I'm using a GJE data cable cat 5e FTP 26awg 4pairs Awm pvc 75c eia/Tia 568b Ethernet cable.

Somewhere I losing a lot of Mbps. I'm assuming it's from the modem. The ISP Tech registered his device at 150 Mbps dwnld. Of course being in an apt. I lose my full strength as splitters are used. He also stated that he was unaware of my modem being able to handle such speed.

Thanks

If you pay for 200Mbps from your ISP, they did not fix anything.

Until that is corrected (and can be proven by directly connecting the modem to your computer and seeing that speed consistently), there is no point in troubleshooting further.

Bring TWC back and get them to fix it fully.

Next, tell us what firmware (specifically) you are using. What firmware upgrades have you done (if any)? Was a reset to factory defaults with manual and minimal configuration done to secure the router and connect to your ISP after flashing different firmware?

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

With the above out of the way (we will now know where your router is at), have you tried using different ssid's? Did you test for different channels to see what gives the best throughput from a wired computer to a plugged in (AC power) laptop?

Do not test with a phone or other handheld device. They are built and designed for long battery power, not for highest performance.

I just ran several speed test using two different services. Both registered 94.89 dwnld and 11.80 upload give or take a tenth or two. Here is what I have L&Ld.

I have asus RT AC68p with the latest Merlin firmware. I upgraded yesterday and did a reset. I did not change any of the settings at all when I ran these tests when I got these results. So essentially I had no interference.

Louisville. Whenever I run the speed test I have it set to register 300 Mbps and everytime it hits that 100 mark it stops. It's like it hits a wall.

Just ran a direct ethernet direct from Motorola surfboard 6141 which the manual says can handle 363 speed. Has 8 dwnld channels and 4 upload channels.

Definitely the modem, see my post and links above. Specs on modem box/manual is irrelevant, TWC provisions the modems (12.5/channel) as mentioned in article. So your 8 channel is maxed at @100-ish (12.5*8=100).

'Latest RMerlin firmware' doesn't narrow it down, unfortunately.

Are you running 380.59, 380.60 alpha 3 or 380.60 beta 1? How did you reset it? And did you use a backup config file to set it up afterwards?

Are those speed tests directly connected to your (wired) computer and the modem?

Bring TWC back and get them to fix it.

'Latest RMerlin firmware' doesn't narrow it down, unfortunately.

Are you running 380.59, 380.60 alpha 3 or 380.60 beta 1? How did you reset it? And did you use a backup config file to set it up afterwards?

Are those speed tests directly connected to your (wired) computer and the modem?

Bring TWC back and get them to fix it.

L&LD. Sorry i am deaf when it comes to tech terminology. But I am running 380.59 which I love. I did a reset by holding the reset button on the ASUS itself. I did not use a backup config file as I wanted to start fresh as I thought I had messed something up during my initial setup.

Yes those speed tests are directly hard wired to my laptop. Every single one.

Louisville was looking over that link you sent. Thanks. What is the difference between a wifi modem and a internet modem? Also was doing some reading and you all are right. I got the lowest end of modems for that speed. I don't have the channels to put out. On my HUD light display on my modem I have blue lights which indicate high speed but it's not. Well it is by my modem standards. What modem are you all using if you don't mind.

What is the difference between a wifi modem and a internet modem?

WiFi Modem means modem and router combo in one unit. Internet modem is just the modem with no router.

First, I would determine whether you truly need 200 and only you can answer that question. Your current equipment is good for @100-ish.

If you determine 100 is good, update your account w/TWC to reflect the proper speed/cost.

NGreet is there a way to check to see if my modem is not putting out what it says. Also I'm using a GJE data cable cat 5e FTP 26awg 4pairs Awm pvc 75c eia/Tia 568b Ethernet cable.

Somewhere I losing a lot of Mbps. I'm assuming it's from the modem. The ISP Tech registered his device at 150 Mbps dwnld. Of course being in an apt. I lose my full strength as splitters are used. He also stated that he was unaware of my modem being able to handle such speed.

Thanks

MrDoobz, let's make it step-by-step. Call TWC again and ask them to come with their test modem and check the line properly. If their modem provides 200 Mbps with the same speedtest services you use, you will know that your modem is at fault and you should change it for a better one (or try to troubleshoot it before). Otherwise, if their test modem cannot put out 200 Mbps, TWC will have to correct the matter.

I'll call TWC again. Apparently my laptop won't test 5ghz as it doesn't support it. I'll have to look into that later. But the 2.4 ghz is pushing out 50-55mbps download. Since I am paying for the ~200 Mbps as advertised speed I should see some benefit. But if my modem is at fault and can't push pass 100 then I'll just have to weigh out my option of purchasing a better modem.

Thanks for all of your help guys. Scary how I understand what was said in this thread. I'll keep you posted.

I'll call TWC again. Apparently my laptop won't test 5ghz as it doesn't support it. I'll have to look into that later. But the 2.4 ghz is pushing out 50-55mbps download. Since I am paying for the ~200 Mbps as advertised speed I should see some benefit. But if my modem is at fault and can't push pass 100 then I'll just have to weigh out my option of purchasing a better modem.

Thanks for all of your help guys. Scary how I understand what was said in this thread. I'll keep you posted.

As for download speed at 2.4 GHz, I would check wireless settings of the router. Its 'Wireless mode' should be set as 'Auto' or 'N only', if you want to have speeds exceeding 50-55 Mbps.

The Motorola sb6183 is not IPv6 compatible. Do I need this? I can get it for around 89 US dollars.
Not a bad choice... But don't buy anything before TWC demonstrates you that 200 Mbps are really achievable on their line. Otherwise, as Louisville said above, you can downgrade your plan to the actual speed to save money both on plan payments and cost of a new modem.

The Motorola sb6183 is not IPv6 compatible. Do I need this? I can get it for around 89 US dollars.
I'm running the SB6183 and an RT-AC68P on a Comcast circuit and I'm getting 170/12 with full IPv6 compatibility.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!