What's new

RT-AC68U & Sierra Wireless AirCard 313U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ph1071

New Around Here
Hi All,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. If it is, please let me know where to go and I'll repost.

I've used this site quite often in the last few years, but have never needed to sign up and ask a question as I've always found solutions in these threads. But as of a couple days ago, I've been stumped and wanted to see if I could get any guidance on how to troubleshoot my issue.

Pretty sure this has been a question before, but here it goes:

I am running an Asus RT - AC68U(w/ latest firmware) & a Aircard 313U(AT&T) for my internet connection. I have used this set up for the last 2 years and am happy with it - its not the fastest, but it works for us. We live in a rural area, so I do not have any other options for internet outside of satellite.

Everything was working fine until Monday when I downloaded and installed the latest firmware to my router.
After I installed it, I still had an internet connection via my Aircard. However, I felt my internet speed was slow(2mb/s), so I did what I have done many times before and powered down my Router/Aircard combo and powered up again. I have found that when I do that, my speed goes back to the 10/15mb/s-ish results I normally get. I'll find myself doing this about every 2 months.

Anyway, after I powered up my Aircard, it wouldn't sync up with my router again.
I used the same steps I've used since I initially set it up (the steps I used were from an Amazon review post, pic attached). Initially, when i set it up, it worked just as the Amazon Poster said - it took a couple restarts, but it eventually worked. Now it wont.

Now, if I plug the Aircard into my PC and activate it with ATT AllAccess - it works and I get connect to the internet. But when I plug it back into the router, it cannot sync up with the router. I figured it may have something to do with the firmware upgrade and I've tried to roll it back a few versions, to see if I get any of the old router settings back, but I think Asus took the firmware I was on off their support page. I emailed Asus support to ask for the original firmware, but they said that I needed to fill out some paperwork to and they'll request help from their lab. I am in the middle of doing that now. But for now, now I'm stuck.

I dabbled into looking at the router system logs and they don't make much sense to me, however, I am seeing some re-occurring "pppd[2039]: Connect script failed" errors. I can add some more of these log entries later if anyone needs to see more.

Anyway, there it is. I'm stumped. Not sure where to go to trouble shoot it anymore. Any suggestions or comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance..

Attachments

• Asus.PNG
    Asus.PNG
    337.8 KB · Views: 617
Try different Merlin or John forks till you get it working.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-custom-firmware-for-asus-routers.7846/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-asuswrt-merlin-374-43-lts-releases-v34e3.18914/

I have some older stock AsusWRT firmwares saved, but maybe easier and even better to use one of the forks above.
John has 2 releases, L and E, better use E but if they all dont work for you you can use L-versions too.
And you have to load Johns with firmware restauration tool from Asus and make a factory reset before afterwards (pressing WPS-button while power on and release it 20s later).

Try different Merlin or John forks till you get it working.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-custom-firmware-for-asus-routers.7846/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-asuswrt-merlin-374-43-lts-releases-v34e3.18914/

I have some older stock AsusWRT firmwares saved, but maybe easier and even better to use one of the forks above.
John has 2 releases, L and E, better use E but if they all dont work for you you can use L-versions too.
And you have to load Johns with firmware restauration tool from Asus and make a factory reset before afterwards (pressing WPS-button while power on and release it 20s later).

Grisu,
Thanks for the suggestions.
Admittedly, I am not familiar with the Merlin or John softwares, although I have read about them here on the forum and other sites. I didn't have a need to change anything with my router until now.
I'll see what I can do this evening and weekend when I get some time to tinker with it again. Hopefully, I have some good news to report.

Thanks again,
ph

OE,
I'll give this a try before I flash the router.
I haven't tried this yet, but do these LTE modems work in the USB3 ports?

Thanks,
ph

I believe a USB 2.0 device will work as USB 2.0 in a USB 3.o port.

OE

Everything was working fine until Monday when I downloaded and installed the latest firmware to my router.

One of the items noted in the release notes...

* Added USB3.0/2.0 mode switch setting in Administration --> System --> USB Settings.

Touching the USB subsystem is always 'interesting' - but it's worth checking the values there.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!