What's new

RT-AC68U slow WiFi download speed, upload fine

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Asus_83

New Around Here
We have recently purchased two Asus RT-AC68U routers to act as wireless APs in our office. We have a 100/100 Mbps internet connection and wired speeds test consistently in the 80-90 Mbps range in both directions using speedtest.net

Unfortunately, while on WiFi (5Ghz - iPhone 6/iPad Air) download speeds (tested using speedtest.net app) never exceed 30-40 Mbps while upload is fine and consistently in the 80-90 Mbps range. I'm at my wits end and can't figure our what the problem could be.

Currently, settings are at their factory defaults but I have tried adjusting various settings to no avail. Firmware is up to date, actually loaded Merlin's version to see if that would make a difference (no).

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Why would only downstream speeds be affected?

UPDATE:

More info, I looked in the Wireless log and this is what i'm seeing:

Mode : AP Only

Stations (flags: P=Powersave Mode, S=Short GI, T=STBC, A=Associated, U=Authenticated)
----------------------------------------
MAC IP Address RSSI Rx/Tx Rate Connected Flags

F0:99:BF:14:2C:6C -49dBm 24/433 Mbps 0:07:55 PS AU

This would explain the slow download speed, but why is the Rx rate so low ?

Last edited:
More info, I looked in the Wireless log and this is what i'm seeing:

Mode : AP Only

Stations (flags: P=Powersave Mode, S=Short GI, T=STBC, A=Associated, U=Authenticated)
----------------------------------------
MAC IP Address RSSI Rx/Tx Rate Connected Flags

F0:99:BF:14:2C:6C -49dBm 24/433 Mbps 0:07:55 PS AU

This would explain the slow download speed, but why is the Rx rate so low ?

Power management. The rate will increase as there is actual traffic.

Power management. The rate will increase as there is actual traffic.

You're right. While doing a speed test I refreshed the wireless log and the rate jumped to 433/433.

I found the root of the problem.....the firewall. For testing purposes I disabled IPS, URL filtering, and App control on our firewall and as soon as I did that download speeds returned to normal.

Still not sure why wired clients only take a small hit in performance vs. wireless clients but at least I now know that my issue is caused by another device and my wireless network works just fine :)

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!